Sauce Bottles FC - The Marinators Thread

First essential step that should have happened weeks ago.

Charlesworth has been reported as saying he will invest more and will find more investors if the League becomes independent.

We will see.

Interesting times ahead.

First off props for sticking with it. Farina wasnt even close to this bad.

Where exactly did Mulvey go wrong? His recruitment was strong - Aspro, Clisby, Oneil, Pain, Oar, Matty and McCormack is a reasonable spine - and he made all the right noises about culture (bringing back some of Arnies guys too). It doesnt make sense to me. Bit of bad luck with injuries doesnt help but I dont see how its got to here. I backed them for finals at the start of the year. When Rose et al say its Mulvey what are they referring to him doing?

I wonder how much of a hindrance the Bolt thing was. It didn’t have to be (but difficult to get past), but I’d understand if it was.

Pain was already here, Oar is a crock, Clisby was ok but fell out of favour, Matty was good but cost too much, McCormack was never interested. Then you can add Gamiero who has been injured for 3 years. He signed McGlinchey to bring back the culture. FFS he sued the Club to get away and could not get a start at Nux last year but came at top dollar and for 2 years.
His 2 best signings were Millar and Aspro but for only 1 year, hence they get snaffled pretty quick and CCM get F’ all.
Selections and tactics were ordinary. He played a back 3 in defence with wingers but no wing backs. This allowed the team to press high and get an early lead but as they tired the system stayed the same and we got consistently smashed.
He told Wout Brama, Alan Baro and Tom Hirajei at the start of the season that they were not needed. Wout and Alan left. Tom stayed but has been out of favour all season. He replaced Baro with Cisse for good dollars when Cisse was hanging up his boots in SE Asia and was totally past it.
He has a record of 1 win in 21 games.

Anything else?

1 Like

This is the most criminal thing. Hiariej is clearly the most talented player in the whole squad and Brama was quite good previously. There has to be more to Mulvey’s decisions there.

1 Like

Mulvey lost the dressing shed in preseason and never recovered.

Three 1.5 hour training sessions a week is unacceptable. Tactics and structure were absolutely shithouse. A-League standard of coaching went past him.

1 Like

Have to say that the whole Bolt thing in pre-season was a massive distraction. I certainly didn’t envy Mulvey’s situation. Think of it from a player’s perspective as well - you’re in a professional environment and you want to take it seriously but there’s this wannabe grabbing all the attention and training/playing like at an amateur level. That can’t have been good for the culture of the club.

That’s outrageous. Surely NPL part-timers do that much or more.

Therefore it is no surprise that we have capitulated in the second half of most games this season.

When you are already behind the eight ball with player quality one thing you should really get right is player fitness.

There was no strength and conditioning coach for the first 8 weeks of the season either I heard.

Correct. He want back to England for personal reasons.

That was a contributing factor to the lack of fitness of the squad.

Woah. How is that not a breach of contract right there?

part time full time footballers

FMD. It would probably take me about half a day to get back up to speed and check latest studies to get back up to speed on fitness training.

Surely a professional coach could thumb it in for a month?

I’ll have a go right now.

Mon: Weekend Review; Team Lunch; Beach Session (recovery)

Tue: Tactical plan for W/E (room); Spare Time; Tactical Field Session

Wed: 5 v 2’s, SSG’s etc. (High Load); Team Lunch; Community Engagements

Thur: Tactic Refresh/Full Field Game; Spare Time; Beach Session (touch footy, volleyball etc)

Fri: Comm. Engagement(H)/Travel(A); Spare(H)/Team Lunch(A); Spare (H)/Go Karting, Golf etc (A)

Stajcic as interim apparently

Performing like part time footballers in a professional league. The results are hardly surprising

I’ve wondered a few times this year just how are they so bad so if that is accurate it would explain a lot.
Interesting choice if they go with Staj he’s got a point to prove & has been successful where he’s previously coached but there is no Sam Kerr equivalent on the Coast. Still I think it is a good idea if they can get him & the FFA allow it.

Hope Staj does OK, otherwise it may be a struggle for him to find another decent gig soon (OK, this isn’t a decent gig, but it also is).
As has been said elsewhere, there is enough quality in the squad to pull a few results out. A bit more pragmatism at the back (like, when your players are tired and you’re 2-0 up against Melbourne who are coming at you hard) wouldn’t go astray.

At very least he brings Hiariej back into the frame. He,O’Neill and Karacan really should be a passable centre midfeld pairing. Maybe not the most creative but thats three decent players.

2 Likes