Shares & Investments

That’s my scenario

So shelve that for 3 years.

Next, cash on motor vehicle and borrow for landscaping or … cash on yard, borrow for motor vehicle.

I think cash on the depreciating and borrow for the value adding?

As neither are a tax deductible expense it really doesn’t matter.

The tipping point would be the price you could get via finance vs cash on the vehicle.

Also outdoor works don’t really add value, they just make the property more saleable.

2 Likes

Anyone else on the RAC rocket over the last week or so? What a wild ride.

I can’t even …

I’ve said it time and time again, there’s no better way to live life unless you’re under crippling debt

Many years ago I bought a bitcoin for $20 that I then lost in a scam when it was worth a few hunj and so I’ve avoided even thinking about crypto ever since.

I’m finally over it now and considering buying a small amount of crypto for diversification. Is it as simple as going to the largest exchange and buying some BTC or should I be thinking about some of the other currencies / coins that are out there these days? Should I be trying to cash in on these (potentially dodgy) Tether things by finding a promo somewhere? Any other tips?

Life savings into Dogecoin :+1:
Nah. I’ve recently (as in about 2 weeks ago) started playing around with crypto, nothing crazy. Just a couple of hundred bucks in some ‘lesser known’ but high potential cryptos hoping for a moonshot. Basically gambling.

I set up a swyftx account and use the app for trading and in 2 weeks ive had about 50% gains, which is pretty great. Bitcoin and Ethereum are far more stable than the altcoins but the market has been going crazy the last couple of months or so. Both Bitcoin and Eth have been smashing their all time highs regularly in '21. I dont know if i’d be dumping a serious amount of money in at this point, if the market corrects back down to end of 2020 levels you’re looking at more than an 80% loss.

1 Like

Bitcoin just hit $1T market cap. Expect another sharp rise over the next few days.

So we can add crypto gambling to the list of things homo sapiens chose over keeping the planet liveable

5 Likes

Bread and circuses, mate.

1 Like

I have a tiny amount of bitcoin thats doing ok recently but am treating bitcoin the same as any asset class (e.g. domestic commodity shares, global FMCG shares, gold ETF, property, etc) and am intent on keeping it a fixed (and small) % of my portfolio. With the increase in value I am going to sell a chunk, top up some other things and wear the tax. I went through a period of being way overweight on oil stocks (30% of shares I held) and ended up just below even after a peak and trough but it was a painful lesson. Bitcoin is the same but on steroids I feel. I’d rather cash out and sit on $X of Coles or WOW and bank a boring dividend and some growth than chase 500% growth.

And down we goooo! weeeeee

I don’t have Bitcoin but just checked the price. What a bumpy ride. Gone down approx 12k since Sunday if I’m reading it correctly

Yeah, still up nearly $20k from the start of the year though. Its been pretty wild the last couple of months.

Pretty classic for bitcoin, wouldn’t be surprised to see it drop to late 2020 levels again sometime in the next month.

The amount of growth it went through is not sustainable for now, it’ll drop slowly climb for a bit then another event will rocket it up. I’m always wary with it because it feels like it is manipulated massively for certain events.

Anyone using homeloans.com.au? Rates look very sharp and there’s an offset facility. Might be time for me to switch again.

Refinance your owner occupied home loan | homeloans.com.au

So this didn’t turn out to be the right fit for me- the offset function was a bit limited.

I think I’m going to refinance with ANZ. They have a 1 year fixed loan that actually has an offset facility attached to it. The rate is 2.04% and they are doing a $4k cash back incentive for refinancing. I’ve done the figures and after refinancing costs I should still be at least $4k ahead by the end of the 1 year term.

Didn’t see your first post but it’s worth mentioning that a lot of ‘offset’ accounts, particularly from the discount lenders, are just glorified redraw functions. I had one for two years and it was fine but you have fewer protections than you would with a real offset account.

I’d assume ANZ offers a real one as they’re a licensed deposit-taking organisation.

Yeah, totally hear you. That homeloans.com.au one for example that I was looking at was quite limited, you could only transfer funds to one named Australian bank account (although it did have BPAY). The ANZ one is a fully featured offset account and has the government bank guarantee.

The only drawback with refinancing with ANZ that I see is that in a year’s time it’s unlikely to be competitive so I’ll have to move again. Still, I’ll be saving about $4k so it’s worth the effort, and in the case of moving to ANZ, I already have a credit card with them so half of the setup stuff is already done.