Slainte, the Malt Whisky thread

We literally would not exist without it.

When you say “we” do you mean the forum administrators or all SFCU posters in the broadest sense?

1 Like

If it helps, a huge chunk of the Japanese stuff is made in Scotland and bottled in Japan. Starward isn’t going to absolutely blow you away, but their nice and easy drinking. I think they’ve made sure not to price people out of the market which is quite good. I never tasted it, but their first release ginger beer cask whisky was meant to be phenomenal.

My current collection is:

Kavalan Soloist “Vhino” Cask strength
Starward Nova
Starward Octave
Oban 11 year
1988 Bruichladdich Rare Cask Series “The Untouchable”
Hibikki Harmony Masters Select
Lark Classic Cask
Black Gate Bourbon Cask

Plus I got a few more i’m sure i’ve forgotten.

1 Like

I mean forums in general

My current collection:

SMWS 4.184 Restrained Smoke in the Gun Room (13yo Highland park)
SMWS 123.8 In The Spanish Mountains (12yo Manochmore)
SMWS 3.194 Surf and Turf BBQ (14yo Bowmore)
Glenmorangie 19yo
Glenfarclas 15yo
Laphroig Select na (gift)
Pendern Rhiannon na Welsh for the SMW Club
Glen Scotia na SMW Club exclusive bottling
Cask Orkney 18yo (Highland Park) independent cask bottling by A. D. Rattray.

The first three are remnants from my time in the Society and do not have much remaining.

The Cask Orkney is a recent addition from Nick’s as yet unopened. I am looking forward to it, as HP 18 used to be a favourite. However, the current HP18 has not impressed me.

Seems as good a time as any to ask, any suggestions from the aficionados as to what to do with this?

Discovered untouched in the back of the old man’s liquor cabinet when we sold the family home in January. Can’t be certain but guessing it dates back to the 1970’s (it was alongside a bottle of Camus Celebration cognac which mum recalls buying duty free as a pre-wedding gift in 1972).

Unsure what they’re worth, if they’re still any good, if we should be offloading or sampling ourselves. We have already saved a bottle of his favourite port which is most definitely going to polished in his memory in a few weeks time.

Never seen it, but if you go onto facebook and join the Australian Whisky Appreciation Society, you’ll definitely get a whole heap of responses.
Although quick goole:

looks like it’s going for about $350

1 Like

Many thanks, I googled the other week and didn’t come up with much.

Looks like you may have lost some to evaporation as well, but may be wrong on that.

My suggestion is pop it open and drink it! Whisky is always better enjoyed remembering the good memories :slight_smile:

The Angels Share?

When my old man passed six years ago, Mum (who doesn’t drink) brought over to my house boxes of assorted bottles of his. A real mixed bag: whiskys, red wines, cognacs etc.

He was never that much of a drinker, and it showed in some of his choices. Real oddball brands you’ve never heard of (especially the wines). Some of the spirits were older than me, and I’m approaching 50.

Anyway, long story short, whether just because of their age, or perhaps they really were some rare hidden gems, the next few weeks/months was spent sipping some of the most amazing stuff I’d ever tasted.

I would crack that bad boy open, and toast to your Dad if I were you.

6 Likes

Cracked the Cask Orkney the other evening. I am not as impressed as those who gave it good reviews (even Jim Murray). Cannot recommend it at present. Maybe it will improve now that it has been exposed to the air.

My current drinking includes:
Oban 14yo
Laphroaig 10yo
Deanston 12yo
Aberlour A’bunadh
Loch Lomond 18yo

1 Like

I discovered Hellyers Road a year or two back as a relatively inexpensive local option. Their 10 year Slightly Peated single malt is lovely.

2 Likes

Their Pinot noir one has such an interesting flavour, almost bready. I reckon it would be great for a first timer.

A few years back they were really bad I thought, but they’ve picked up recently

Yeah I couldn’t speak to any of the older stuff. I only developed a taste for whisky 6-8 years back, and even like the Irish stuff which I’m told is sacrilege.

I had a bottle a few years back and have not been back.

The glendronach 15 - today I saw for sale at Dan Murphys and was surprised given how hard it was to get a few years ago even at the oak barrel etc, but that drop is/was a triumph.

3 Likes

Update on the Cask Orkney 18. Definitely improved for being opened. A bit expensive, but lovely lingering citrus flowers on the palate. A bit expensive but worth a look for any fans of Highland Park. Nicks.com.au is always worth a look.