Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

Harsh to put that on Bimbi. If they’re Dutch, Berger would be expected to know what they are like. That’s certainly the reporting around De Jong.

This post bought to you by goo

Both looked worthwhile signings and there’s enough time in the season for both to be worthwile

3 Likes

freaking amazing the absolute flip from “SFC, amazing recruitment” to “burn the fuckers!”

1 Like

That Ninkovic fella looked hopeless. Under 10s have more tekkers than him. Who signed him and why havent they been fired yet?

1 Like

Goals aren’t the issue, Bobo or Fornaroli are the last players we should be signing unless we’re going to go to a 3-5-2.
The issue is being outnumbered in midfield. We’re playing 4-2-4 and the front 4 are all central and generally press, not track back. If, like against
Melbourne, the press is played through O’Neill & Brillante are 2v3. This means that they can’t fill the space left from Zullo or Grant going forward to provide the width. The opposition play the ball into that space, dragging our CB out of position, leaving the other CB 1v1 on their 9, or LB/RB on their 7/11 and our 2 CM’s running back towards our goal trying to pick up their 8 & 10 while their 6 sits unmarked 40 yds from goal.
This is also why the long ball is seemingly our only plan in launching an attack. Our players are either on the edge of our box defending or on the last line of defence halfway up the field, there’s nothing linking them together.
We should be signing a left sided player (Young Alex or Brad Smith?), move Milo2 to an orthodox #10 (he’s completely ineffective on the left now that Adrian has gone) and play a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

GK

Grant Wilko Jop(?), Zullo
Brillante O’Neill
Retre Ninko Gers/Smith
ALF
Bench: GK, Calver, DDS, De Jong, Brosque

3-5-2
GK
Calver Wilko Jop
Grant Brillante O’Neill Zullo
Ninko
Bobo/Fornaroli ALF
Bench: GK, Retre, DDS, De Jong, Brosque.

Gersbach isn’t a bad shout. I wonder if his Norwegian team would be keen on letting us have him in January on loan? According to Transfermarkt he is barely making any appearances often he is not even making the squad.

Mitchell Duke has officially been released from Shimizu S-Pulse. Not sure if he is the answer to our problems but he is an option should Steve go along that route.

Think it makes sense. We’ve lost three of our best players from last season including the two best players in the comp last season, we’ve lost the best manager in the league and Wilko is a year older and slowing down

Yeah it makes sense. I do wonder if we’ve just also gone too long without any serious turnover in some parts of the squad, meaning that there’s a bit more complacency among the players, they aren’t as excited to turn up and learn new things and other teams are just starting to figure us out a bit. This last few years has to be about the most stable our squad has been in ages.

We are a basket case at the moment.

19000 turned up v the Victory and now we have 10,000 v Wellington and we play like that?

Somebody here is saying we are too harsh on Van Flop?

He cost us v the Victory by bringing down Honda, He wasn’t marking Simon last week and there were at least 2 goals v The Nix where he was at fault.

So much for the Dutch league if this guy was playing there.

As for Grant, He has been shite the last 2 matches. If he’s arguing with Corica on the sideline then he needs to be dropped.

O’Neill and Brilliante just don’t want to tackle.

What the heck has happened to this side?

Corica has signed 1 decent player and somebody that looks like he’s made of glass.

Hopefully De Jong comes good or we are seriously screwed.

If we can get Fornaroli why not. He’d be better than the rubbish we have atm.

In the South we have so many fans and we are giving them this crap.

I said Corica is too soft and I’ll stick by it

He’ll be gone by years end if we don’t make the Semis.

I’ll never forgive the club for letting Janko go

That’s a big call!

Big call about a big man

definitely time to nail your membership card to the stadium gates

I’d go further back than that. The rot set in when we released Alejandro Salazar. He’d be in his prime right now!

1 Like

Only because of being the guinea pig for his dad’s steroid development. True story.

I think clearly Jop has not been close to A-League quality. Wilkinson has been too slow, Zullo a bit lazy tracking back, and Grant very very below average last few games.

I’d be pushing to release Jop in January, and get Calver/Warland into the starting spot, spend his foreign spot on a new defensive midfielder. Brilliante not good enough this year, O’Neill forced to play as both DMs in every match.

I’m willing to give Corica a lot of time, but you’d think with a squad of this quality they can turn it around.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t have got caught he’d just be another ESFFAFC cheater.

Go on, in a non-libellous way of course, with the steroid story.

You dont just release Jop and get cap space. His pay out counts as the cap so wed now be down a defender and not have cash to sign a new player

…unless he finds another club with similar remuneration and is happy to thus forego any remaining money.
I don’t think there’d be a clamour for his services right now though.