Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

He’d surely qualify as a guest marquee though?

I mean it’s 100% not happening but he would qualify under that rule.

Nah, his name’s not Tim Cahill.

We’ve already got Milos & Siem. Honda is one of Victory’s marquees, FFA are topping him up but he’s not in a 3rd marquee slot (Toivonen is in cap).

Neither was Villa, or Romario, or Kazu, or Carbone, or Neill.

Thoughts on a new contract for Brosque? Corica hinted he might get him to stay for one more year:

Will be the same as the past extensions, promises leadership and experience from the bench before the season but ends up playing a key role. He is still a great player but maybe his time is up? If I was Corica I would wait until the end of the season to see how his body holds up.

They all played 4 games or less.

Today’s rules would allow them to play 14.

Link to current rules?

Didn’t Bulut get an ACL specific contract at WSW back in the day?

You would have to go with another year for the skipper.
He’s still performing pretty well, without being the benefit of the proper rest he should be given more often.
Also, he’s relatively inexpensive - where would we get someone on similar coin who offers that level of quality on the field + everything else he means to club, fans etc?

2 Likes

Yeah, makes complete sense. He was meant to be more of a bench player this season until Buhagiar’s injury but he’s once again proving his worth every game. He may not have the same pace that he had a few years ago, but his knowledge of the game and intelligent positioning, combined with his work rate off the ball makes up for that. He’ll be very handy coming off the bench, but at minimum he’ll continue to be a good presence in the dressing room.

As for his wages, he’d be on a fair bit less now, but he’s also considered a loyalty player (5 or more consecutive seasons) so at least 25% of his wages are outside the cap. I think this would have been the first season that he’d be eligible.

Guest Player – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on one Guest Player who must satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria as approved by FFA. A Guest Player is restricted to a maximum of 14 Hyundai A-League matches

Honestly, I’d prefer Brosquey ended this season on a high note and retired. Last year he nearly hung the boots up after what was nowhere near his best season. Would have no issues really if he stuck around for another year. Trent/ALF together up front as Corica intended, and an experienced player like Brosque on the bench.

I think you underestimate how good Brosque was last year. Adrian was so brilliant he hogged the sun a bit and Bobo just kept scoring. So, others like Brosque and Ninko looked like support players even if they played wonderful - and vital - supporting roles to the other two. Brosque is the only one I can remember at SFC, until Alf appeared on the scene, who has sacrificed himself with an ongoing high press - at full-on sprint speed - on opposing GK and defenders. And he did it again the last two games. How many times has his press forced opponents to rush their clearances so that they can’t build up and hoof the ball to us. Irrespective of age, he runs himself into the ground for the team and then backs up with running off the ball when we are in possession. Legend.

1 Like

He plays is heart out for the club week in week out. He has so much pride putting on the shirt and I would love to see him going around next season.

Brosque stays for sure for at least one more. He’s a fine wine who gets better with age

This article with a few quotes from the great man himself is making it sound more and more likely that he’s finishing up after the current A-League/Champions League commitments.

Club Email:

• Tratt been extended until the end of this season (original contract was short term)
  • Ivanovic signs for the remainder of the season
  • Heward-Belle signs until end of 19/20 season

Signed Tratt to the end of the season and given contracts to Ivanovic and Hewerd-Belle

What’s the value of signing them until season’s end? Would they otherwise have been restricted somehow?

EDIT: I’m pleased with the signings, just unsure what it actually means.

THB’s contract surely means Big Cis is released end of his contract this May. Very happy for Tratty and Ivanovic.