Squad speculation thread 2019/20

I could be won round to that argument. It would at least restore a natural balance which kind of seems upset at the moment seeing Jurman turn out in those colours.
Footballing wise, McGowan has gone backwards at great pace (greater than the rest of the team at least) since the restart. Maybe being away from his missus and newborn has not been good for him? Too many late nights gaming or watching adult entertainment?

Kosta’s wage is also outside of the cap. Unless we were going to bring someone in who would require their wage to be paid outside of the cap moving him on makes no sense.

ABJ should be the first to go. He’s not first choice and there’s depth in his position so freeing up his wage to strengthen other areas of the squad or upgrade the contracts of some of our younger players is a no brainer.

On the McGowan/Jurman swap, is Wilko going around again next season or retiring? If Wilko is staying then yes but if he’s retiring then I think we need McGowan’s experience and leadership back there.
A Jurman/Wilkinson CB pairing works, we know that.
A Jurman/Flottman pairing doesn’t fill me with a whole lot of confidence.
A McGowan/Warland pairing could work well.

1 Like

Sure but I feel as though reeling off statistics doesn’t really capture the nuances of his performances. On paper he looks like he has performed ok. But if you watch the games, he’s been pretty anonymous in a lot of games and in others he’s been legitimately terrible (missing easy chances, giving the ball away etc).

Brosque provided a lot more in terms of getting involved in play/chance creation and pressing than Kosta usually does. He also just seemed to be able to drive the team forward and win us games. The idea that Kosta offers anything close to that is laughable.

Calver!

3 Likes

Agree about ABJ. If the salary cap does shrink, I’d be letting him go long before Kosta.

I’m sure they’ve already announced Wilkinson as going around for another season.

I’d give Kosta a pass mark for this season, met expectations, but didn’t exceed.

1 Like

I’m a bit disappointed with Kosta tbh. ABJ also

2 Likes

ABJ is the sort of player you’d have to build a team around and he shouldn’t be on the coin we’re paying him. If we can offload him then great but i can’t see many chances for that.

Is Ninko done?

If Ninko is done you keep ABJ and play him at 10.

If Ninko isn’t done, you see if you can’t quietly move ABJ on.

Or, ABJ is a starter and Ninko is a 15 minute super sub.

He’s not done, but I feel that he’s in his twilight. I’m finding that he’s slowly being taken out of games by the opposition and he simply can’t control it as much as he used to. In saying that, a drop in form for Ninko brings him on par with the better a-league mids.

Next year will be an interesting one to see how Corica deals with it. We’ll need to have a proper long term recruitment policy for a replacement, at the end of the day, he’s going to be a 36 year old midfielder…

Ninko shouldn’t be asked to play in this position at this stage of his career. He works so hard for a player of his age and ability, covering the left side. He should be allowed to play as a proper 10 and we can do without two up top.

3 Likes

Yes, another player to play left in a 4-2-3-1. I’m also not sold on retre and brattan being our main defensive mids.

1 Like

I don’t think a formation shift will be happening. Isn’t the 4-4-2/4-2-4 the default formation for all of our sides?

In saying that, a 4-2-3-1 would be the ideal formation to get the best out of the players we have.

2 Likes

Would it? I assume youd mean something like this:

Redmayne
Grant Wilkinson McGowan Zullo
Brattan- Retre
Barbarouses-Ninkovic-Buhagier
ALF

The issues this would lead to are:

• With proper wingers you’re going to limit the ability of Grant and Zullo getting forward (or if they get forward as much the wingers will have to defend more or theyre just going to get in each others way and leave us a bit exposed). Grant and Zullo get their space from ABJ or Ninkovic tucking in and dragging a defender to create the space. A 4-2-3-1 isnt going to do that

• Youve either got ABJ on the bench or playing out of position

When you read this: Scouting Report: Sydney FC — A League Apart its apparent we’d need to make some changes to our attack and defensive styles- whilst you could argue thats needed with recent form and the need to keep changing and not be stagnant, it also would affect a lot of whats worked.

Brattan gets alot of wraps from the commentators for his sexy passes but we don’t really get much final product. Is this just me?

That more comes down to linking up with Kosta and Alf though doesn’t it?

He’s been out best player all season

3 Likes

Seen our forwards lately re?