Squad speculation thread 2019/20

Mostly, I’ve been impressed with his effort and attitude. I do wish he’d stop with the attempted 40m piledriver. He’s starting to stray into Zadkovic territory

Pretty much nailed the formation although I’d switch Kosta and Buhagiar.
Have them start wide but run inside to open the space for Grant and Zullo/King.
Ninko sits deep screening Bratten and Retre who play as dual 6’s.
In theory when defending you have a 6-4 and in attack you have a 5-5.
If the attack comes down the right them the LB stays back and Retre covers Grant and Bratten stays central. If the attack comes down the left then flip the player movements.

1 Like

Needs more total football, I wanna see grant doing stepovers down the left wing.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve lost count of the times he blazed it miles over the crossbar.

That said, I’d much rather have Brattz attempt a long range bomb every now and then than continue trying in vain to find Alfie’s head amongst taller defenders, or drop it at Kosta’s two left feet for him to trip over.

2 Likes

If anything we don’t shoot from distance enough, and it allows teams to hang off and crowd the box.

2 Likes

Corica isnt going to change any time soon, especially with what he has. He recruited players specifically to play these roles and has shown no real ambition to shift anything, other than adding a third CB to screen for 4 minutes late in a game.

Playing Caceres deep might seem a bit different because he’s much more likely to beat the first man and play forward quicker/slicker, but its more out of necessity than anything else.

Of course this off season may see some big changes, guys like ABJ or Alf may want to move home, the cap could be changed hugely affecting a number of squad players (Zullo, Brattan, younger guys) etc

One of our biggest issues, is that without Zullo, our left wing is quite weak in attack. We play through the overlap on our wing backs and King is more suited to a regular back four rather than our current tactics. The overlap on the left disappears and generally means that our tactics focus on getting Grant on the right, or passing to Ninko on the left, who is then generally forced to use the centre or pick out Grant on the right

1 Like

One of our youth players, Cam Peupion, is joining Brighton U18s.

His name always makes me giggle.

Good on him. Should be back at Newcastle in 2 years.

2 Likes

Trent Sainsbury has left maccabi haifa. Would be an ideal signing in terms of replacing wilko long term.

He’s moved to KV Kortrijk hasn’t he?

Seems like he’s a free agent according to TWG.

My bad, Redkat posted in Australian Footballers abroad that he’d signed. I blame him!

Ive gone purely off this tweet: https://twitter.com/AleagueHub/status/1295483914098634752

1 Like

I feel he could have had a much better career in Europe had he chosen his moves better.

2 Likes

Its sad to watch so many Australians struggle in Europe. So many make terrible career choices, its almost a meme a this point. Jeggo went to a greek side the other day which is probably not a wise move. Arzani moving to celtic is another example. A lot of young players fetishise Europe and think any European team is a step up from the A league but I don’t think it is the case a lot of times when they go to 2nd rate European clubs and barely play.

There’s an element of bragging (players and parents) which is egged on by agents with $$$s to make. Arzani was fine (City then loan is sensible) but Celtic was the error.

1 Like

I think it’s generally fueled by the agents. They up-sell their charges to overseas clubs, convince them to go for a huge chunk and then can’t give a crap after they’re locked in.

Yeah I agree 100%. A lot of blame falls on the agents. But I think its about time young Aussies smarten up about their overseas transfers and are realistic about their ability. These kind of situations have been happening for at least the past 5-10 years. Thats why I have a lot of respect for Grant for example. Probably has had offers/opportunities to go overseas in recent years but decided to stay at Sydney. And even though he’s a great player in the A league, its probably about the right level for him. And the fact that he stayed in the A-league and ascended to the Socceroos shows you don’t have to rush off to Europe at the first opportunity to have a good career.

1 Like

Grant is a funny one (cutting out passport which I believe is one of the reasons keeping him here). For me, love it, happy he is here but football is a brutal career choice and HAL then retirement at 35 has big downsides. If he was your mate you would encourage him to consider a $$$$s league even if just for a year or 2.