Sydney FC Academy NPL 2020 Season

Draw is out. Looks like we’ve moved from Lambert Park to Rockdale?

1sts:

Round Date Time Venue Opponent
1 Sun 01-Mar 14:00 Popondetta Park No.1 Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC
2 Sun 08-Mar 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Marconi Stallions FC
3 Sun 15-Mar 15:00 Lambert Park North Shore Mariners FC
4 Sun 22-Mar 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Sutherland Sharks FC
5 Sun 29-Mar 15:00 Lily Homes Stadium Blacktown City FC
6 Sun 05-Apr 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Manly United FC
7 Sun 12-Apr 14:30 Albert Butler Memorial Park Wollongong Wolves FC
8 Sun 19-Apr 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Sydney United 58 FC
9 Sun 26-Apr 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre APIA Leichhardt FC
10 Sun 03-May 16:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Rockdale City Suns FC
11 Sun 10-May 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Sydney Olympic FC
12 Sun 17-May 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC
13 Sat 23-May 19:00 Marconi Stadium No.1 Marconi Stallions FC
14 Sun 31-May 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre North Shore Mariners FC
15 Sat 06-Jun 16:30 Seymour Shaw Sutherland Sharks FC
16 Sun 14-Jun 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Blacktown City FC
17 Sun 21-Jun 15:00 Cromer Park No.1 Manly United FC
18 Sun 28-Jun 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Wollongong Wolves FC
19 Sun 05-Jul 15:00 Sydney United Sports Centre Sydney United 58 FC
20 Sat 11-Jul 19:00 Lambert Park APIA Leichhardt FC
21 Sat 18-Jul 18:30 Ilinden Sports Centre Rockdale City Suns FC
22 Sun 26-Jul 15:00 Belmore Sports Ground Sydney Olympic FC

Looks like the only clash with HAL is on 26th April. Heart away at the same time as APIA home. After that we’ve got several consecutive ‘home’ Sunday games through the finals.

Definitely happy to have Sunday fixtures instead of Saturday ones. Might make it to a few more games this year.

Ilinden is a shit tip, no?

I welcome a ground that isn’t restricted view from every single seat. Used to adore football at Lambert until they put the 5-a-side poles up.

Not that bad at all. Good bar and food, decent view. The dugouts in the middle is a bit annoying if you sit up close and near the middle.

Parking is easy as well.

I wonder if that’s anything to do with them probably repairing the stand at Lambert Park during the season.

Maybe they’re still waiting for that soil to arrive from Italy.

I will miss walking home from the NPL on a cold night and being in the door 10 minutes after I left the ground. Those were good times.

1 Like

Season kicks off this weekend with the lads away to Mt Druitt at the iconic poppendetta Park on Sunday.

I thoroughly recommend listening to the latest @Sky_Blue_Stories episode which has an interview with head coach Jim van weeren.

As mentioned in the podcast our squad has 2 under 23s & the rest are required to be under 20.
Promotion this season is only determined by first grade results so with a really talented but incredibly young squad we may be in some danger of dropping to Npl2.

1 Like

Anyone know if the games are being live streamed again this year?

Hoping for Tilio to rip the NPL up this year.

Thanks @sinjin. For those that may not have time to catch the whole pod(Or… just not keen on listening to our ramblings for the whole pod) we start our JVW chat at 27min 30 Seconds and it wraps up around 57min 30 Seconds. Enjoy

Exactly 30 minute interview down to the second. And you guys claim you aren’t professionals!

1 Like

This is a pretty important season I think if what I read is correct. No more club championship means the team lives and dies on the success of the first grade side.

Think Sydney can scrape through for another season? Sure hope so.

That’s the hope but I imagine we are keeping largely the same squad who will be a year older / better / wiser. Surely there’s at least one other basket case to replace last seasons Hakoah… basically the longer we stay in NPL1 with other HAL sides in NPL2 the better talent we should be able to attract and those players will be more ready for the step up into our first team.

Opening game on now:

1 Like

Clean sweep for the youth.

Great to start the season off with a win.

We got lucky in the second half. A few missed chances by Mt Druitt and some great saves by THB too.

Commentary was a breath of fresh air. :joy:

Fantastic result for the boys, only saw the second half but could’ve finished 8 all. Some great last ditch defending and THB got through plenty of work.

Mt Druitt had some experience in Poljak, Saliadarre, Alameddine and his ridiculous long johns (he scored against us for Rockdale in FFA Cup) and John Roberts who made a few appearances for WSW. Superb start to get the 3 points.