Sydney FC Academy NPL 2020 Season

Losing players like Devlin, Tilio and Hollman is where the salary cap is hurting us and is another reason why it should be scrapped. Because the club has had its shit together for several years now our first team is settled and successful meaning we’ve been able to focus on producing our own talent through the academy. The first of those graduates are rolling off the production line now and soon, hopefully, it will become a steady stream.
We should be signing them to long term first team contracts and loaning them out for a season or 2 until either there’s a regular playing role in the squad for them or they haven’t developed into first team quality and are moved on. Unfortunately the salary cap and loan/transfer system in this country doesn’t really allow for that.

1 Like

Even with no cap players will look at the players ahead of them and think a move away is better.

Tilio wanted first team football.
He’s about 6th in line.

Just because they want first team football shouldn’t mean that they have to be off our books completely.

1 Like

We get the best, most ambitious kids and when they realise they have Ninkovic in front of them they go elsewhere. The alternative is not having Ninkovic because the next Joel Chianese needs game time (the Wests approach).

There a more photos me holding the toilet seat (fucked off 12% beers - still don’t believe they are a thing) then there are of Wests players. I’m fine with our approach.

2 Likes

More so with our current stock of players, we can afford to be very picky. It’s a different situation if we were sending players off and then getting pumped by the same players over and over again. We’re winning and we also have a decent crop of youth. The fact that players are moving teams is more so that they can quickly become first team players in other lower teams, or they can sit on the bench waiting until an older player leaves.

At the end of the day, we’re in the sports entertainment business. That’s is best served by winning games.

Are these players going to help us win games next season?

1 Like

It happens in the big teams too look at Jadon Sancho leaving Manchester City or Paul Pogba/Gerard Pique leaving Manchester United.

In all seriousness, of all the biggest teams in the wold, it’s only really Barcelona that’s made it big with developing talent regularly and keeping them in their first team, and even they’ve lost a fair few younger players to other teams.

Nice fluff piece on youth success and the academy.

1 Like

Anyone know how we’re going against Marconi?

EDIT: Never mind, the game starts in a few minutes. U20’s have won their game 3-0, so I believe that confirms them as finishing top of the U20’s table.

1 Like

Early goal for us. Great turnover from Nieuwenhof who set up Swibel for a composed finish. 1-0 after 10 minutes!

1 Like

SIlverwear for the baby baby blues

Now its 2-0! Against the run of play mostly, but Swibel now has a double. About 8 minutes to go until half time.

Keep this up and hope somehow Sydney United mess up and lose to APIA and it’s semi finals for the Sky Blue boys.

Blacktown City lead WSW 3-0 after 12 minutes which is also a bit of fun.

1 Like

And 4-0 to Blacktown now. I know what I’ll be watching during half-time of the Sydney FC game!

We’re somehow 2-0 ahead at the break. Swibel has managed to take both of his chances while Blacktown have missed a number of chances at the other end.

3-0! Wood finishes one off after a lively second half from him. We’re probably not going to finish in the finals, as Sydney United 58 are in front in their game, but take nothing away from a really good season for the NPL team.

Wood seems to be scoring a lot. Would he be a chance of getting some bench minutes next season or is still a season or two off?

I’d easily be giving Swibel minutes before Wood next season. Swibel seems to have a lot more to his game at this point in time. Wood is quick, gets into good positions and is a handy finisher, but from what I’ve seen (which is not much) he still needs time to develop other parts of his game. I believe he’s still 17, so there’s time for that yet.