Sydney Supercup Nov 2022 - Rangers, Celtic

I think there will be thousands of travelling fans, especially since this is the first time that there’s been an Old Firm game of any sort outside of Scotland.

Chuck in 2 years+ of very restricted travel and you have a lot of interest in a trip down under.

This is what I think. Still might be a shitshow but all Celtic and Rangers fans in scotland seem pretty against it so would be ironic them spending $2k+ just to come over and support it. Though yeah some might make a holiday of it.

I know where your’re coming from , I have plenty of memories of when the old firm supporters came to play Dundee or United , complete lawlessness , lets hope they have matured since those days , The media will be hoping for a shitfight to have something to write about , our newspapers don’t mention football unless it’s something unsavoury.

Are we sure this isn’t being funded and promoted by Ch 7 and the AFL?

4 Likes

If it is, then you’ll expect there to be baseball bats and hammers hidden underneath each chair

But 8pm is still only 9am in Glasgow.
Can’t imagine any of the Scottish teams agreeing to anything earlier given the time differences.

You’ve now got two pubs at Accor.
The Brewery under the Novotel.
And the newish LockerRoom across the way.

But agree they are a little too close, and the train line could be a disaster.

Probably be track work that weekend anyway…

7 Likes

Yeah, buses would be waay better…

I’m a sucker for big name visiting teams… swore off them after a few, even more so after seeing some real competitive games at famous grounds during trips.

Once missed an opportunity to see Bayern vs Dortmund in Munich, as I didn’t want to pay $500 for a ticket on Viagogo type of website. Would go back and pay more now if I could.

I figured I’d probably never again get a chance to see Celtic vs Rangers any other way.

Cat E at 49 bucks. Done.

1 Like

Honestly, when Arsenal visited it was a very mixed experience for me, because I was super glad to see the Gooners but I hated the general atmosphere of Eurosnob, and I hated that Eurosnobs would judge us for low turnout for a friendly where active tickets are needlessly expensive just to sit there and have the same Eurosnobs boo the locals. Buuuuut, I can’t resist attending the SFS game and Old Firm. Category C and E it is (north-east corner, both games).

1 Like

Interesting. Who’s the organiser?

That’s fine. Either I see some Scottish football or I get my money back.

images (3)

2 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to these matches.

This Eurosnob bs is just that.

Ffs it’s 40.00 to watch the Bulls play.

I’d pass up on that shit before passing up on Celtic v Rangers any day of the week.

On the other hand, There are thousands out there that might not have the chance to go and see a Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool, Barca, Man u or whoever in their lifetime.

$49 To see Celtic v Rangers?

Why the bloody hell not.

2 Likes

I don’t care about Rangers v Celtic it doesn’t damage the reputation of the local product., other than the inevitable bad press that’s coming when these fuckwits discover its a free-for-all here.

I do care about these shitty tours that cast local teams as the Washington Generals, it just plays into people’s perception of the A-League as a substandard league and actively works against engaging football fans who don’t currently watch or attend the A-League.

1 Like

A meaningless game between two teams that I have zero interest or emotional investment in, and the knowledge there are going to be literal thousands of fuckwits who think they are tough and legit so their natural level of cockspankery will be raised to never-before-seen levels? It was garbage enough having to deal with just Rangers fans in 2010.

Having to share a bay, stadium, train, tram etc with a whole bunch of “fans” who will use the game as an excuse to be absolute human garbage to each other, all over the place? And actually pay a good chunk of cash for the experience?

That’s a negatory.

1 Like

Yes some might attend and walk away with ‘confirmation’ that A-League is substandard, but they probably won’t ever be attending A-League games, except for that first away game when the likes of Robbie Fowler or Daniel Sturridge come to play, where they come wearing EPL kits and sing EPL chants while hoping the away team win or their ex-EPL star score against their home based team.

But you can’t underestimate the power of exposure. For example, in my case it was the Beckham vs SFC game that made me want to come to SFC games regularly. I still remember the "70,000 people, we play every week’ banner from the Cove. I attended the very first SFC home game as an event goer, but the Beckham game planted the seed in my head that it would be fun to attend regular games, and it wasn’t until season 4 when I finished uni and started working that I could afford memberships and even away trips.

So in my estimation, not much to lose from these exhibition games but much to gain potentially.

8 Likes

One anecdote does not a decent increase in crowds/memberships make. Make no mistake, 99 per cent of the crowds for these games will be event goers, Eurosnobs or actual Celtic/Rangers fans.

At this point, more than 15 years in, there is not one football or even sports fan in this country who doesn’t know exactly what the A-League offers, and they are either in, or they are out.

Yes I am aware I could be the one and only fan to have been positively influenced to support their local A-League club through an exhibition match, or I could be one of thousands, but we are speculating and not basing it on research data.

My point is exposure is nearly always a good thing. It’s why Coca Cola continues to advertise on prime time TV even though everyone knows their product already.

Eurosnobs who attend a live game every 5 years can be insufferable, but I’d rather A-League clubs continue to be involved in exhibition games and get media coverage than not.

9 Likes