The Aussie Younglings thread - 2022 AFC U23 Asian Cup

Super Dave leaving their country couldn’t of helped

3 Likes

3 Likes

No Djeparov, no party? He was an absolute baller, especially at set pieces.

Iran v Iraaq in Canberra was one of the games of the Asian Cup back in 2015.

1 Like

I had just naively assumed Iran v Iraq was one of those “these teams can never play each other” pairings, but it turns out they aren’t.

Who played each other at the World Cup they genuinely hated each other country wise - but both teams were super respectful?

Asian Cup 2015, they played each other. One of those most incredible games I’ve ever seen. Almost defied belief. It truly had it all. Even a coach berating Ben Williams after a soft red card.

USA vs Iran was from the last World Cup. Maybe it was that one? I can’t think of another one.

1 Like

I think that was it. Might be different for two teams in the same region.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that this was even a thing. But i’m assuming it’s one of those, they can’t be drawn against each other, but whatever happens in knockout stages is open?

Interesting story I just read, Israel almost qualified for the world cup in 1958 when every team they were meant to play against refused to play their allotted games and forfeited. FIFA had to step in an give them a playoff game against Wales. They then spent some time in the 80s in Oceania playoffs.

I was pretty shocked at the civilised manner in which Iran and USA played out at the World Cup. Was expecting some fireworks of some sort.

One day Iran will play Israel. Shit will go down.

I suppose one day Russia will also play Ukraine. Shit will go down as well.

I honestly feel that the Iran-US rivalry is overstated. The hatred stems from the radical elements within Iran and it’s government doesn’t it? Obviously not an expert, but if you look at the actions of the Iranian teams in recent games, men’s and women’s, they’ve definitely not been pro Iran government

1 Like

Israel vs Iran would be a lot more intense than US vs Iran.

1 Like

More so their Government and fringe supporters that dislike America massively. Also a bunch of Trump style supporters in the States that will irrationally hate all Iranians (and anyone else from the region). As I said, on the field they showed some real respect - my point was the players weren’t assholes like their governments are.

The Iranian players would likely be told to boycott any such match up . It’s happened in other sports.

1 Like

I was watching a doco set in Iran the other day and mum mentioned that my cousin in Israel had visited Iran. I was slightly stunned - there was a point in time when you couldn’t visit a lot of muslim countries with even an Israeli stamp on your passport, now Israelis go to Iran for a weekender, so I’m not sure how different things are these days even with the shitty regime in place (in either country).

My understanding is Israelis are refused entry to Iran right now.

Penalties to decide if the boys make the World Cup. No idea how Segecic didn’t get a pen in extra time.

Segecic misses in the shoot out