The beer thread - New England Double IPA edition

The craft and home brew scene is really growing over there. I was there to visit a mate in 2017 and we did some brewing with his friends, tried some of their previous brews and local craft brews and they were excellent. They were saying the ridiculously expensive prices for beers out at a pub or bar was a big factor.

Not surprised, I remember travelling in that part of the World and just remember people travelling to Denmark for cheaper alcohol or taking that ship from Sweden to Finland as the booze on the ship was duty free.

Depends on where you are, Stockholm is stupidly expensive, especially around the tourist areas.
I’m from Uppsala so i spend most of my time around there when I go back and i paid around the equivalent of around $13AUD for a pint at a fairly nice bar. Bottleshop prices are pretty similar to Australia i found, except they all close at 3pm Saturdays and aren’t open at all on Sundays. Compared to other places in Europe though alcohol is pretty expensive in Sweden.

You would be paying close to $13 a pint in certain bars at The Rocks. Argyle springs to mind.

I just paid $14.50 for a schooner in Redfern (The Traveller from Deeds Brewing, tasty DNEIPA!!), so that’s sounding pretty reasonable

1 Like

Tried the new Modus Pangea IPA (the limited edition “international IPA” that they made that features hops from Aus, NZ, USA and Europe). It’s pretty tasty, it’s got a really nice bright hoppiness to it. Would recommend a try.

A craft beer bottle shop has recently opened here in Lismore and I’ve made it my duty to ensure it stays in business.
I picked up the La Sirene Farmhouse Red earlier this week and have just cracked it. Absolutely sensational especially after running around refereeing in warm sunshine this afternoon.

La Sirene are superb and I would like to see what they could do with a red ale. Sounds great.

I’m cracking the 5 Barrels Raspberry Pastry Stout later this evening. Looking forward to it.

Just pre ordered a Canvent calendar from Carwyn cellars in Vic. I’m sure there’s a Sydney alternative but I’m in Melbourne for the weekend and got targeted via Instagram ads of course. Can not wait to flesh out my very young Untappd page

1 Like

Awesome. The beer cartel one in Sydney is always pretty solid. They’re becoming so popular now; such a good idea.

Porque no los dos?

Balter sold to CUB yesterday for up to $200 million yesterday.
Unlike their other acquisitions, CUB are going to expand the Balter brewery to increase production and continue to have the Balter guys make the product.

Good on them, that’s a huge amount of money.

That said, even though the same guys are making it, I think I might give them a skip now if it’s a choice between them and a true independent brewery.

So is anyone doing a beer advent calendar this year? Favourites from the first week? The Bucket Boys one is only 12 days so I’m hanging out for that to start.

Yeah, I’m doing the Beer Cartel one. Been quite good so far.

I’m with you in regards to Balter. It’s now in the same category as 4 Pines, Young Henry, and a load of others. I’ll always favour the independents. While the same guys will be running Balter, with an increase in production, quality will always suffer. I’m sure that they’ll be less hands-on and be focused more on overseeing production and coming up with the occasional limited release.

Isn’t Young Henrys still independent?

Yes, sorry. I was thinking on Pirate Life.

ah ok cool…

BrewDog’s opened their brewery/Taproom/Restaurant in Brissie recently… Keen to go check it out.

I drank a lot of their beers when I was in Scotland a few months back. Quality stuff.