The beer thread - New England Double IPA edition

Was invited to a MMM party Mick Malloy hosted at the Chippo Wednesday night. He co-owns Bricklane which was on free flow to drink on tap. Needless to say I had a number of the Pale Ales. Easy drinking beer with out having that strong hops taste. Good flavour but a little short on depth. Decent enough beer if you want to pound a few.

Was meeting Mick Malloy like looking into a mirror? :wink:

1 Like

He asked if I was his body double

1 Like

This is today’s beer from the beer cartel Advent calendar. Can’t wait to try it, I love NEIPAs, I love hop nation’s beers and I love George Costanza.

1 Like

It didn’t disappoint. My favourite of the week thus far.

Can’t wait to drink it when I get back from the game.

Had the jindabyne brewery Golden ale the other day, great beer

1 Like

My favourite at the moment is the bent spoke sprocket. 7% ABV IPA and it’s absolutely lovely. They’re not afraid of pumping up the malt a bit and it works really well, not too bitter and a nice malty sweetness adds to the really punchy hoppiness.

Bent Spoke is nice. I’ve had a few of theirs.

Yeah I’ve been drinking a lot of their stuff lately too. Just finishing up a four pack of the Red Nut, which is a superb beer with a great maltiness you expect from a RIPA.

Yeah, big fan of that too.

Been doing the Boozebud Advent Calendar. A little behind so only on day eight. It is the Wayward Raspberry Berliner Weisse. Favourite so far. Refreshing with a fantastic flavour.

2 Likes

I quite like that one when I’m in the mood. Yesterday’s beer from the BeerCartel one was also a Wayward called Cosmonaut - a cranberry and orange sour, much like a berliner weisse.

One thing that is pretty cool about the beer cartel calendar is that the breweries often make a specific limited release beer for it. The Waywayd one for example says “in collaboration with Beer Cartel”.

1 Like

I had one of these tonight:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/verhaeghe-duchesse-de-bourgogne/6945/

One of the best beers I’ve had in a fair while. Classic Flemish red, with it’s mix of sourness and maltiness and a lot of lovely barrel characteristics. Very strong cherry flavours.

Sounds really nice.

You sound like wine wankers, stop it.

So I’m doing Welly away this weekend. I’m blown away by how many craft breweries there are in Wellington, it’s like disneyland for beer snobs. Heaps of breweries all in walking distance, and that’s on top of all of the craft beer bars as well.

Really looking forward to visiting Garage Project, I’ve had a few of their beers and haven’t been disappointed - one called Party and Bullshit was, as ninko would say “unbelievable”.

Saw that in Bucket Boys the other day, might pick one up. I’ve liked every beer of theirs I’ve ever had.

1 Like

They do free beer tasting at the brewery itself and just up the road they have their own little bar.

Also make sure you check out Golding Free Dive and make sure you have the pizza there.

Thanks for the tips!