The beer thread - New England Double IPA edition

Bought myself this bad boy as a birthday treat:

The International #1 was already my favourite beer ever. This second brewing of it is almost as good. If you can get your hands on a bottle, I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a classic farmhouse/saison style.

1 Like

Thought this was interesting.

Murky lines there now.

So I popped my first ever bottle of home brew this evening. It’s definitely drinkable, so I did well with the sterilisation. The recipe I used is based of a pretty old-school pale ale (stone brewing’s original pale ale from the 90’s), as such it’s more Cooper’s than Pirate Life, but it’s not bad to drink and it packs a punch; it’s at least the 5.5%ABV that the recipe claims.

It probably needs another week or so to round out it out a bit more.

6 Likes

So stereotypically ESFC that photo.

Sorry, should have removed the espresso machine, added some fibro and included 5 snotty nosed kids in the background.

Looks beautiful mate. Great colour and a lovely head as well which is actually quite difficult to achieve.

How long have you had it bottled for before your cracked it?

Only two weeks. I wont crack the next one for at least another week.

Yeah save a few for a bit as I notice the carbonation changes after you crack that first. Set one or two aside for a few months as well and see how it settles a lot further down the line.

1 Like

Bells Hopslam.

Easiest double IPA I’ve ever drank but paying for it this morning!

Anyone know a good bottle-o in the West Ryde area for beers?

Porters Ryde. Probably the best option in the area.

https://www.portersryde.com.au/

One for @himmelblau - I’m having the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier for the first time that I can remember right now. I see what you mean about Australian breweries not really mimicking the German style.

1 Like

Do you like it?

Oh yeah definitely. Both styles are very different.

Anyone know a good site for beer recipes? Looking to get back into it again

All grain or extract?

Coopers have a heap of extract recipes.
https://us.diybeer.com/brewing-info/recipes

Also check out here:

Anyone got any good brewery suggestions for Brisbane? Preferably close to the CBD.

I’ve had good experiences with Brisbane Brewing in West End.

1 Like

Newstead and green beacon are two of the best up there in my opinion. Across the river in Southbank is a craft beer bar called sacchromysses (spelling might be off) similar to bucket boys here in Sydney. Cracking selection of beers and owned and run by some great guys.

1 Like

Oh yeah, +1 for Saccharomyces!