The Cove Charter

1. The Cove exists as a source of support and inspiration for Sydney Football Club.
  • We will support the team always.
  • We will wear club colours.
  1. If you are in the Cove you are expected to participate in any singing and choreographed displays (banners etc.) we do.
  • Don’t join the Cove to experience the atmosphere, join the Cove to create the atmosphere.
  • Follow directions from people at the front, and follow the singing from the back.
  • Sing for the whole 90 minutes. Don’t give up if Sydney is losing, in this case you should sing louder. Anyone can sing in the pub prior to the match; When the team is down by a goal and it’s 85 minutes gone, where will you be?
  1. Sydney FC is only young as a club as is The Cove as a supporters group. We are open to ideas.
  • Flares are banned from the ground. As a result the use of flares will not be tolerated and offenders will be made known to security, for them to deal with.
  • A beer shower is for goal celebrations only, and involves just the beer (not soft drink or anything else) and not the cup. Throwing a beer at anytime, other than immediately after a goal is scored, will not be tolerated. Throwing of other objects, at any time, will not be tolerated.
  1. The Cove is NOT run for profit.
  • Any monies raised go back into the Cove (banner making, website maintenance, etc.).
  1. The Cove does not tolerate or support racism, sexism, Vuvuzelas or homophobia.
  • Sydney is a multi-racial society. The Cove reflects this and welcomes everyone. Any incidents of racism, sexism or homophobia will be dealt with.
  1. We do not tolerate the use of Vuvuzelas, or even the consideration of such an act under pain of death.
2 Likes

What’s our stance on vuvuzelas?

1 Like

Anyone who brings one will have it inserted.

Sideways!

2 Likes

Possibly not the right thread for this but is it worth thinking about updating this? Let me firstly say that the support from the cove this season has been as good as I can remember - its energetic and loud. But some of the behaviour in the cove recently has been pretty embarrassing (I’m particularly referencing throwing shit on the field both last night and at a few other points during the season). I know often the emotion and the alcohol can get the better of us but watching on last night was incredible - there were a few times where the ball boys were having to dodge the mini flag poles. It’s a bit hypocritical to be calling other clubs trashy/classless and then to be carrying on like we do. Not sure if its just because its not shown on TV but I never see this sort of stuff from the best home ends in the world (yellow wall, The Kop etc.). Obviously we’re doing our own thing in Aus, somewhere between the more hardcore European scene and the more laid back english style, but regardless I think there’d be a lot of benefit to encouraging and supporting our team in a more respectful way. Not sure why this is but when I have been in the cove this season I’ve noticed the crowd seemed a lot younger than it used to be, so maybe one reason?

I’ve been a member since 2010 and used to sit in the cove fairly regularly but now only sit in the cove occasionally and usually am in reserved seats upstairs. Last night there was a pair of 9-10 year olds throwing shit over the edge of the balustrade who got told off by security - their response was ‘but they’re doing it’, pointing to the cove. Don’t know if this is just me becoming a grumpy old man or if others agree, just thought it was worth putting it out there.

5 Likes

And way to guarantee mini flags in tifos being ruled out for years to come.