The English Football Thread

Things would be much more straightforward if play simply continued, and the decision to stop play due to player welfare was the refs call.

2 Likes

I believe he was substituted tactically but also to convince everyone that he was injured and that he didnā€™t just stay down to get the free kick if that makes sense.

Once Leeds give the goal back you have to commit to the bit.

Also David Luiz in the United-Chelsea game on Sunday morning, he faked a groin injury when Chelsea were down to 10 men on the pitch due to another injury. He collects the ball and puts his hand up and rubs his groin passes the ball out for a throw in which allows Chelsea to make the substitution and get back to 11 and then the ā€œsportsmanshipā€ means united give the ball back to them.

It might be a completely nonsense question, but it has to be asked. If a member of their own team kick it out of play, especially if its just for cramp, or something else that is immediately rectified, why should the other team give them the ball back? More and more, that tactic is used to stifle play, and letā€™s be honest, if weā€™ve watched a decent amount of football in the last 10 years, its a tactic that is used more and more because teams know it works.

Had the same incident on Saturday in our gameā€¦ their guy went down with ā€œcrampā€ so they kicked it outā€¦ he had a swig of water and was up and about back in position so i instructed my team to play on as normal - their coach went bananasā€¦

1 Like

If Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa League does that mean that the team that finishes 5th in the league will still qualify for the Champions League next season?

I think that you only get that Champions League qualification spot for winning the Europa League if you donā€™t already qualify through your nationā€™s normal places, so Iā€™m fairly sure thatā€™s not what happens. Iā€™m 95% sure thatā€™s what happened with Athletico last season because they finished top 4 in their league and won the Europa League but 5th place in La Liga didnā€™t play Champions League.

Atletico Madrid won Europa last year, and Villarreal did not get a CL spot from 5th in Spain last year.

Sweet, I donā€™t know why I thought England had 5 spots of allocation but itā€™s only four so youā€™ve answered my question.

Kompany nails an absolute belter!

What a finish to the season. Next week is going to be tense as hell

Itā€™s remarkable that Liverpool can get 97 points and still may not win the league.

really? i hadnā€™t known they had gotten so many points this season.

Did you know itā€™s more than fergie??

I would let vinny k go in dry <3<3<3

Isnā€™t it delightful to think that they might not win it.

Youā€™ll still never hear the end of it from Liverpool fans

1 Like

Well Iā€™m pretty proud of what the team has done up against the most relentless opposition possible with pretty much limitless wealth. Itā€™s disappointing to miss out but itā€™s not because of any real shortcomings of ours so what can you do but doff your cap to the other lot and their human rights abusing owners (sorry Iā€™m allowed one sly dig, and it wonā€™t be at City or their fans).

1 Like

There was a comment on the BBC app when I was following the text updates this morning. It said Liverpool have spent more this season than Man Cityā€¦ Iā€™m guessing they meant transfer fees. Surely not?

No, that would make sense. City didnā€™t spend much this seasonā€¦ just Mahrez? Liverpool got Allison, Fabinho, and Powercube? Keita arrived this season, not sure whether the spend was then, or the year before when the deal was tied up.

Liverpool spent that to bolster a team which had limped into the top 4. City had the all time record-breaking team to start with, with the investment having been in previous years.

I donā€™t think City lost anyone useful in the off-season, but Liverpool lost Can for free.

2 Likes

Well they spent about a billion dollars on Alisson for some reason. It didnā€™t make sense to me at the time. Only people who have watched a lot of EPL this season could say whether heā€™s actually done well for them, though.

Not sure if seriousā€¦

No one gives a shit about the EPL anyways. :wink:

European nights at Anfield, eh?

1 Like