The I love this new forum thread

Well, whaddayaknow… Goo is a niche delicacy.

This is google analytics for the last 6 years, the 2016 drop was a config issue, the 2018 blank was the shit forum.

This is 1 day and 7 day active users.

It’s also worth noting it isn’t just us - if you go to the 442 forum, you can see similar things. Way less traffic there these days and the quality of discussion is lower than it is here IMO.

What counts as an active user there? Is that people who have signed up and have activity attached to their account or is it based on IP addresses that might return as guests regularly without joining? Just curious.

Unique users interacting with the forum, so reading without an account would count. It’s useful because it eliminates crawlers and bots.

Quality > Quantity.

The discussions here are far better than the dross that you see on the facebook pages.

1 Like

Could you repost the chart but with arrows indicating certain historical events eg; Grand finals, the beetroot wars, the Arlo memes and Forte’s banning.

The shit forum period (the Great Extinction Event) really hurt. While there was always a gradual decay in numbers, many of those who drifted away then haven’t come back.
Hopefully the current volume is enough to justify the time and cost keeping the whole thing going.
Echo the views above on the quality of discussion being pretty good, though we are probably all a bit too much on the similar side - not sure we quite need a Forte back, but some dissenting views are always good.

I miss Malone. He was fun.

I literally just thought of him before I read your post. Such a coincidence that he’s not posting here anymore now that WSW have turned to shit and SFC have had so much success.

There’s limited appeal to have a place to go for a regular kicking. Probably wears you down after a while. And unlike the Mariners fans who get a bit of that here, there’s very little sympathy or understanding for those in red and black.
Anyway, we’ll see if he resurfaces once things improve for them or they have a better derby run.

There has been a tendancy to shout these people down at times, which isn’t healthy. I think we will form different views when we next have a properly shit season and each have to choose who to blame.

1 Like

I dont discuss football stuff on facebook at all.
Only on here. The new forum is bloody excellent.

Plus it works super fast on the defence network.

2 Likes

I use twitter a bit for fitba, but for me it only forks for those short interchanges, and not for a longer, thought out discussion due to the noise involved.
Facebook…deleted it. It needs to be killed.

Football on twitter just seems to just mostly be yelling.
That’s pretty much all i use it for

3 Likes

The activity might be down (but back on the same trend before the last migration) but the quality is still great and I feel like the forum is a lot more focused on football. Fewer threads. A lot less bollocks, for better or worse.

Agreed, but I do occasionally miss the days of crazy shit, like Drughi asking the CEO to put lingerie models on as half-time entertainment.

Was the old forum ever archived? I’d like to find an old post of mine from about 5 or 6 years back.

It is, but we’d literally have to spin up a server with the old software on it. We’re working on a way to convert it to this format and put it online as a read-only forum but that’s quite a while away.

2 Likes

It won’t be as good as you remembered it