The Jack Rodwell Date with 828/Eclipse the 946

Take Rodwell money and load up a long contract for Matthews. CB sorted

4 Likes

I think youā€™re all overlooking how much there will be to spend on visa spots next year.
Weā€™re not going to spend the same amount of money if thereā€™s less money coming in from the APL.
Thereā€™s a player here who wants to stay in Sydney. Make him stay on our terms.

Iā€™d apply the same condition to Robbie Mak.
I canā€™t see us, or the league in general, getting anyone better.

1 Like

The problem with a performance based contract with our salary capped league is that if the performance/appearance metrics are met then you have to cater for that in the cap anyway. So we basically end up downgrading our cap for this weird gamble on an injury prone player taking up a visa spot. We got 1500 odd minutes out of him over 2 seasons. Less than 20 full games out of around 60.

2 Likes

That sounds like itā€™s a pretty easy budget to make.
Factor in his minutes prior to coming to us and you can gauge an even more accurate figure.

We often factor in cap space for a January signing. If Rodwell has made it that far into the season as a regular player then we move him to a designated slot and donā€™t sign anyone.

Or we can sign someone that can play 30 games?

9 Likes

Geez people are talking about keeping Rodwell now?

7 Likes

Doesnā€™t matter.

Heā€™d need citizenship.

You canā€™t just move a player into a designated spotā€¦ The top two earners in your team are set as designated players, then you have the Aussie designated, youth and all the other exemptions.

Thank you. I thought everyone else were losing their minds, honestly.

3 Likes

The way I see it, Iā€™d rather someone slightly worse than Rodwell that doesnā€™t get injured. Rodwell being injured last year especially, meant we were dealing with one of the most makeshift defensive lines weā€™ve had in years. Iā€™d rather someone that can simply play, that doesnā€™t require us having to throw half ready youth into starting lineups.

1 Like

Just to be clear Iā€™m not saying we should sign Rodwell, just that with 5 visa spots we can afford to take a bit of a gamble with one spot if we really want the player around.

If they donā€™t want him then no problem.

Considering Lolley is the only guaranteed foreigner next year, weā€™re going to be taking a gamble with up to 4 Visa spots no matter what we do. With Rodwell, is it a gamble? Heā€™s been in Australia for 3 years now. Here are his minutes:

Year 1: 827 (managed to play 5 90 minute games)
Year 2: 1175 (managed to play 8 90 minute games) This number is inflated as he also played League Cup
Year 3: 516 (managed to play 1 90 minute game)

I mean thatā€™s not a gamble, thatā€™s just an absolutely silly investment. Heā€™s a defender, we shouldnā€™t be regularly subbing defenders off at all, unless weā€™re looking at it tactically to add a striker. The majority of these cases, weā€™re essentially wasting a sub

3 Likes

We all know itā€™s technically possible to sign Rodwell, question is should we.

Depending on how things go with Brats, if really rather see us use our foreign spots on a starting CF, CB and GK.

Then, hold the fifth and final spot for the January window.

• There are two Marquee Players who sit entirely outside the salary cap.
  • There are two further Designated Players outside the salary cap and are limited to a salary of $300k-600k.
  • There hasnā€™t been such thing as an ā€œAustralian Marqueeā€ or equivalent for almost a decade.
  • None of these are automatic. This isnā€™t Football Manager. Teams can and do simply not have MP/DP.
2 Likes

That was circa Emerton and Kewell era, yeah?

Not to mention he didnā€™t look that impressive this season when he was on the park. It would be a colossal waste of a visa spot. Heā€™s surely be on good coin, as well.

I donā€™t hear anyone (including myself) saying Gabriel Lacerda should stay. He played a lot more minutes than Rodwell and his first half of the season was pretty good. He hasnā€™t recovered from his injury, though, and it seems pretty clear from his reduced general movement since he returned.

Really we should be only looking to fill foreign spots if they present a superior option to available Aussie players in the same role. They also need to be reasonably expected to be fit and available for the majority of the season (eg. pretty much anyone not Rodwell). If they donā€™t satisfy that criteria, then theyā€™re not worth spending the extra money for. Simple as that.

4 Likes

If your highest paid earners arenā€™t designated or marquee then youā€™re really doing it wrongā€¦ If weā€™re maxing out the cap, why would we put someone on a lower salary as a designated player than the players on the higher salary?

Itā€™s also worth questioning whether our owners would be happy to pay someone a decent wad of cash to potentially not play and just suck up resources from the medical team.

And a little after that. I think Brosque was our ā€œAustralian Marqueeā€ when he came home. If I remember correctly, I think the rule changed for 2016-17 (or maybe even 2015-16), but Brosque was still contracted on ā€œmarqueeā€ money and remained marquee for that season?

Thereā€™s a salary floor that some clubs wouldnā€™t reach if they counted wages outside the cap/floor.

Do we know how the salary floor works though? Like do we include the total salary spend of all players, or is it the ones internally only? Otherwise if you had a team that had, for instance, every player on the full homegrown player subsidy, of 50%, youā€™d potentially never be able to make the floor (unrealistic scenario obviously). I thought the salary floor and salary cap are unrelated