The motorsport thread

I have no love whatsoever for Vettel and especially none for Ferrari, but that stewards decision was really rough on them. I guess Ferrari are appealing it, though. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the result reversed.

It was a strange one in the sense that yes, he did come back on track recklessly, but I can’t think of a time when someone’s been penalised for that before. Hamilton blocking Ricciardo in Monaco 2016 came straight to mind for someone getting away with it.

I would be surprised if it gets overturned, but not sure if Ferrari will go with the lack of precedents or with the “what else could he do” defence

If he went off there during a practice session, I think for sure he would not have rejoined the track the same way. But if you’re leading the race by only a couple of seconds, of course you want to do your best to stay in front.

I suspect the Stewards had access to his braking and throttle trace data (looks like he kept his foot into it based on his oversteer moment when he rejoined) and determined that he could have made it a safe re-entry by lifting off, or even braking.

Whilst Ted summed it up (“C’mon guys. This is racing”.), I think a penalty had to be applied based on the wording of the rule.

In any case, glad to see Dan bag some more points.

Absolute crash fest in Moto3 tonight at Barcelona.

Pfft, McPhee doesn’t know how to crash!

Waiting for Moto3 Free Practice to start and Supercars Trackside is on.

I still can’t get over the success of the category despite it’s appalling television coverage.

The British F1 on the weekend was by far the best F1 race I have seen in a long time! Brilliant stuff all round. Wish there were more like it during the season.

1 Like

Austria was probably even better. After everybody was confidently predicting the death of the sport after a dire French GP, the past two races have been brilliant.

2021 will see big changes in the cars, with a return to ground effects (underbody venturis) instead of downforce generated by external elements. The aim here is to reduce the amount of “dirty air” behind the cars that makes overtaking so much more difficult. Liberty Media, the new owners of Formula One, will employ an “automotive stylist” to make the cars look cool as well.

The blueprint has been released.

The last race was only cool because that German cunt fucked himself whilst dating that Dutch cunt in the Austrian cunt car.

Check out the bargeboard on the Mercedes at this weekend’s German GP.

The complex aero on F1 cars today cop a lot of criticism but you can’t help but marvel at the deep understanding of aerodynamics discovered in wind tunnels and airflow simulations in supercomputers.

It looks like a perverted HR Giger artwork.

Oh and the Mercedes sport new livery to celebrate their 125 years involved in motorsport. They originally raced in white before the “silver arrows” appeared.

This is clearly the result of the piss poor redesign of Hokenheim.

Well what a bonkers German GP that was. An absolute shitshow won by Max Verstappen. Highlights:

• Verstappen (and the field) had a grand total of five tyre changes (wets, intermediates, slicks, intermediates, slicks)
• Sebastian Vettel, after Ferrari’s shambolic qualifying session, goes from last place to second
• Daniil Kvyat finishes on the podium
• The race was briefly led by (drumroll please), Lance fucking Stroll
• Hulkenberg has his first podium finish there before him before he throws it away
• Leclerc had his first win there before him before he throws it away in a hail of swear words and steering wheel headbutts
• Gasly further proves his incompetence by driving into the back of Albon
• The Haas boys bang wheels with each other AGAIN after being given their umpteenth warning by Günter Steiner.
• Sainz actually had his car in the gravel, reversed out and still somehow finished fifth
• We had FIVE safety cars and a virtual safety car

But perhaps the funniest thing of the whole race was that this was to be the set piece to show Mercedes’ dominance. It was their 125th anniversary of motor sport. The cars had new livery to celebrate that. The pit crew were in old fashioned cosplay (wearing suits no less), Mercedes new CEO was in pit lane and the team chose THIS race to allow Netflix’s cameras in for an episode of “Formula One: Drive to Survive”. Instead of an imperious one-two, the cameras witnessed Bottas throwing his car into the Mercedes sponsored fence in spectacular fashion and Hamilton to fumble around the track, throw it into the same fence, have a fifty second pitstop while a clearly unprepared pit crew fell over each other and looked for new nose, copped a five second penalty for good measure, then finishing the race battling the Williams for last place.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Edit: Both Alfa Romeos got penalties after the race so Kubica got a point for Williams! His first points finish in eight years.

It was insane race to watch, my GF has watched the last three with me and she’s been very lucky.

Also Hamilton crashed on the last corner and Bottas crashed on the first corner.

Watched the highlights this morning, cause fuck F1, that’s all it deserves. One thing last nights race really highlighted for me, modern F1 cars are understeering pigs.

They really need to do something about that.

Brilliant, I wasn’t aware of this. Hopefully they still kept a camera on Steiner as well.

A first released image of a 2021 regulations F1 car in wind tunnel testing. Note the vastly simplified external aerodynamic elements, a very different floor with the new ground effects and a halo that now looks properly integrated.

1 Like

Rolling on 20s!

Still too much wings and things!

There’s a video!

Antoine Hubert has died after a crash in the feature race of the F2 at Spa.

Was a pretty horrific crash.