The Podcast Thread

Not sure if it’s ever been mentioned here before, but Darknet Diaries is really good. It’s essentially real stories about various cyber crimes as well as government conspiracies involving technology. The topics are really broad and are delivered in a way that you’ll appreciate if you’re technically minded, but will also quite easily understand if you’re not. The guy is a good story teller and the production is great. Highly recommend.

1 Like

RoryBunk
No, the history of sky lab,USAs space station pre international space station, lots of episodes detailing its different occupants and practical jokes they played on one another

Or

Looks like space shuttles mission, individualy discussed over its entire history, that s as far as ive got so far.

Darkest Diaries… Gave it a go… 3 episodes in, really enjoying it.
Thanks for the tip

2 Likes

That Peter Crouch podcast has been great light listening.

Really enjoying this. Great find!

Space recommendations have been great.

Mine: Elis and John (amazing podcast that I would pay $100 an episode for), Guardian audio long read, Quickly Kevin if you are 30 or older only, Phoenix City (if ur a HAL uber nerd), NPR politics is good.

Yeah I listen all the time. A really great way to learn about unusual topics.

Just finished the Silk Road by Casefile. Bang, up there as one of the best crime podcast I have listened to.

1 Like

Does anyone have any recommendations for Italian language podcasts?

I’ve been learning Italian for just over 2 years: I take evening classes and talk to/learn from my girlfriend (she’s from Rome) and her family whenever we go back to Italy.

Just looking for something to listen while commuting to work, walking the dog etc. I’m at B1 level so something suitable for intermediate speakers!

For those who have already listened to America, If You’re Listening, they have just announced that there will be a season 4 leading up to the US Elections.

For those who haven’t heard it before, this is the best podcast I am aware of for explaining the whole Trump phenomena.

Is it produced by putting a microphone inside a toilet bowl being shared by a dozen large blokes with explosive diarrhoea?

No such thing as a fish. Done by 4 researchers for the excellent TV show QI. Funny and interesting.

One of the better football podcasts. I would recommend starting with the “Why do people support s***t teams?” episode.

1 Like

Speaking of darknet diaries, the latest episode was fantastic.

All about a bloke who uses social engineering to convince people to become whistleblowers for profit. Fascinating stuff.

3 Likes

For Fantasy Premier League players… what’s your favourite FPL podcast? My weekly go to are: Always Cheating, FML FPL and Who Got The Assist?

Daniel Garb and Robbie Cornthwaite now do the ABC’s ‘The Grandstand Football Podcast’ . Every Monday.

1 Like

I spend far too great a proportion of my life listening to football podcasts and can say pretty comfortably that this is clearly the best there is:

I don’t even really follow Italian football much these days, but it’s more of a historic podcast with each focusing on a different character in Italian football , drawing in particularly from the 80s and 90s which lines up nicely with the golden years of Serie A. You get names like Totti, Trap, Maradona, Di Natale, Signori, Batistuta, Tino Goddamn Asprilla, “our own” Delps and Vieri, a bunch of dodgy owners and more.

The combo of James Horncastle, Gab Marcotti and host James Richardson have a great feel for a character and have some great stories to tell with plenty of humour. It’s absolutely ace.

3 Likes

This high quality podcast began as Russia if your listening and was about Trump. Then it changed name to America if you are listening and was about Putin. Now it has changed name again to…

1 Like

Any good science/nerdy podcast recommendations?

I really like Mindscape by Sean Carroll. He is a theoretical physicist but he has guests on a huge range of topics. Usually from the hard sciences, but sometimes veering into social sciences and philosophy. He also does a long AMA once a month which can be really interesting if you like that Q & A Dr Karl style of show.

1 Like