The Poultry War - Sydney's Chicken thread

Anything with the words Byron Bay in it deserves to be ridiculed. It is an absolute cesspit of filth and wankers and anything that wants to trade on that name is a representation of that.

The ABC sauce though is fucking fantastic. I grabbed it one day because there was no sriracha and I haven’t looked back

1 Like

Whilst I’m generally in agreement, it’s an excellent chilli sauce. Don’t hate it till you’ve tried it.

Billy Bs fermented hot sauce is a must have in our kitchen. It goes on anything and everything and they sell it woolworths next to the Byron Bay fodder. Outside of that I’m partial to Yuceteco, especially the Caribbean one.

To the above, I did Hot Star in Melbourne a few years back and all I can remember of it is it being fucking massive and crunchy. They hammer out the breast so much that it’s more of a giant chicken crisp than anything else.

At the request of our 7 year old we made schnittys the other night but crumbed in corn chips. Very happy with the result and it’s the first time I’ve seen him clean his plate

1 Like

This stuff is great, have moved onto cholula hot sauce in it’s place the last few months. I found I could go through a bottle of that stuff in under 2 weeks putting it on everything which I am not sure is too healthy.

The Byron Bay stuff doesn’t actually taste like mango at all, it’s also pretty mild as far as chilli sauces go. It is definitely tasty though - I only get it when it’s on sale as we seem to rip through it having taco Tuesday every week!

Back to chicken…still waiting for El Jannah to open to Crows Nest.

Not sure if it’s still there, but there used to be a Hot Star chicken next to Bar Century on Liverpool Street in the City. Got it a couple of times, wasn’t that impressed to be honest. Bit dry, and the seasoning was unevenly coated.

I enjoy some Hot Star, the size of the serving is fantastic too, just a giant ol’ piece of chicken.

1 Like

Southy just sent us a photo of this place in Manila.

13 Likes

I remember when Byron bay was cool :sob:

Sadly, so do I.

The influx of celebrities and influencers has changed that considerably and the seedy underbelly can make it a pretty dangerous place.
The homeless problem is also a massive issue with a lot of people with mental health issues wandering the streets.
Lennox Head and Brunswick Heads aren’t far from following suit.

If you want to go to a decent beach in the area go to Broken Head.

What’s the chicken scene like in Byron these days?

Who am I kidding?! It’s probably all vegan now.

Lennox was our go to for holidays growing up. We loved it.
I had relatives living in Rosebank that used to sell “herbal” goods in Byron.

We would travel with them all the time. It was awesome.

“What’s the chicken scene like in Byron these days?” is an amazing sentence.

4 Likes

Mostly fillets, worn by 20-something females.

2 Likes

Obviously the cow is smiling because she isn’t being eaten today. :joy:

FMD. STFU! I had Poulets on Monday and it was shit. And Katoomba was horrible. Everyone should stay away and leave me to deal with the chicken and the vinegar and the awesome herb salt. I mean shit herb salt.

5 Likes

Had Frangos last week, which I assume came from the new place in Metro. The chicken was good.

And on a serious note, Poulets has been like it is as long as I can remember, which would be the early 80s?

Totally different owners and now and a different location but the chicken is still aces and their chips with brown vinegar and the herb salt are the best.

Park in the woolies or coles car park because BMCC has brought in payed street parking in Katoomba, Leura and Wentworth Falls.

Definitely would have been there because the Petersham shop is closed as per usual in January. An aside, with them and Silvas closed at the moment it’s piss easy to get parking in that part of Petersham.

But I have no use for Petersham anymore!

I tried the marrickville metro frangos last week also and thought it held up against the original pretty well. Looked to also be an expanded menu with brisket also being offered for some reason.

Chips and gravy from Faulconbridge chicken shop.

So chumpy you can carve it!

1 Like