The Seria A Thread

Thanks for the updates, including for Serie B. Like what you wrote about Empoli too. Will have to find time to watch what they are up to.

1 Like

IMG_20201023_212505

Empoli: the club from Tuscany are celebrating 100 years this evening in Italy with the original shirt from the beginnings of the club with a wine worn marrone similar to the colours of Torino, Reggiana and Salernitana. The shirt will make an appearance in tonight’s Friday evening tuscan derby against Pisa, and it will be followed by games against Vicenza and Reggiana.

1 Like

‘Better a death in the family than a Pisan at the door!’

1 Like

Beautiful! Many thanks, blueska! And I really like their current home “azzurri” colours

Empoli play at home in their Stadium Carlo Castellani, named after one of Empoli’s greatest players. Castellani was also an antifascist. He died from dysentery in Mauthausen concentration camp after he volunteered to be sent there in the place of his ill father who had been arrested by the fascist police for his role in organising anti-fascist industrial action in Empoli.

A lot to like about this town and its little club that can.

1 Like

Sassuolo 3-3 Torino. A plethora of goals from the 70’ mark opened up the match that normally with players such as Belotti and Berardi on opposite ends of the field should make most hands rub together in pleasure :rofl: It turned out to be a great game for the neutral with both teams intensely working together, even the Italian telecronista calling it a classic! The goal by serbian Durucic takes the cake imo. Talking to a guy the other day who is a Sassuolo fan told me that the club is run really well and precise. Then it comes as no suprise that the Emilia Romagna club, historically playing in Serie C and below, have remained in the first division since its first inclusion from 2013-14 haven’t looked back since.

Serie B: Empoli 3-1 Pisa. As mentioned above, Empoli adorned in the 100 year marrone shirt went down an early goal in the opening 10 minutes, but never looking like on the back foot through out the match. Particularly in the second fourty five, the former Lecce player La Mantia was constantly in the hunt. It wasn’t until the 75’ for the Empoli forward to bag 2 goals in the following ten minutes that secured the three points. As I’m sure i’ve mentioned before, it would be difficult to not see Empoli in the play-off’s come the end of the season.

The most of Serie B will play today from early afternoon to late afternoon, a viewing pleasure as there are so many clubs in B that are playing good football right now!

1 Like

Atalanta 1-3 Sampdoria. The genovese club certainly turned on the light - not only in the lighthouse - to grab the three points and take them back to the port city. After a difficult match, Sampdoria closed the game out with an extra time goal that should send a few doubters to a new discussion about their season down back to il bar. Quagliarella still scores like un bomber!

Serie B: Monza 1-2 Chievo Verona. Former Milan, Sassuolo and Fiorentina (let’s throw Barcelona into the mix :rofl:) famed player Kevin Boateng scored his first goal, a penalty for his new club Monza this afternoon’s serie b match against Chievo Verona. Monza went ahead around the half hour with Boateng’s strike, however shorty there after, monza received a red card for Barilla which was costly. As the second half progressed, it proved to be difficult for Berlusconi’s newly promoted club. Conceding two goals in the second half, even a red card late on for Chievo wasn’t enough to bring a victory for the new boys at home.
IMG_20201024_154936

Serie C: For those who may follow clubs in the third division, il campionato degli italiani. The usual stream site Eleven Sports Italia will be broadcasting ALL GAMES starting 24/10/20 FREE FOR VIEWING. I will link the youtube page, but you can also check the fb page out for further details. For those not familiar with the current set up 2020/21. Serie C is organised by three groups. The north, center (from Perugia up) and south (from Terni down). Four qualifying positions to Serie B up for grabs, three automatic, one play-out. Choose a club and follow: Palermo, Bari, Livorno, Sambenedettese, Piacenza, Foggia, Pro Vercelli, Cesena, Novara, Catania, Fermana, Modena, Triestina, Juve Stabia, Avellino, Trapani, Potenza, Teramo, Monopoli and many more. Tonight the youtube free opening game will feature Virtus Francavilla and Potenza.

1 Like

I know he’s already got a bit of a journeyman reputation but playing in Serie B is such a great journeyman move.

1 Like

I’d love for Andrea Belotti to play for Sydney one day. He’d be the perfect #9 for our system.

Monza is just a very short trip up the road from Milan. Live in a villa with garden out there and shop in Milan - oh and play some football.

2 Likes

Monza has a project now set in place by the former Milan president Silvio Berlusconi and the current politician of Forza Italia Adriano Galliani. As you can tell by this article, they are pushing for Monza in Serie A. As concerning Kevin Boateng, I agree, it seems like a great place for a journeyman, but for him, perhaps there’s more in it. It’s difficult in Serie B, it is a difficult competition with many clubs pushing for promotions. It won’t be easy!

1 Like

Benevento 1-2 Napoli. In the heart of Campania, Benevento and Napoli battled it out for 96 minutes, and it was intense. Both Insigne brothers were on show and bagged a goal each for their respective clubs. Benevento went up at the half hour mark with a goal by Robert Insigne, but it wasn’t until the second half that Napoli found the gap between the posts. Lorenzo Insigne scored a beaut shot from outside the box, perhaps a goal of the weekend. A must see! Benevento came very close in the closing minutes, however it wasn’t enough.

*not sure I’ll cont. but I have an atlas of calcio, and I thought I might include some photos from it, as I find it an interesting look into the literal surroundings of a club and city, I hope others feel the same.

Serie B: Cosenza 1-1 Lecce. Southern Italy on show this late afternoon in Cosenza, minus the supporters, one of the most unique from this part of the peninsula :soccer::wolf: sembra impossibile! https://youtu.be/wWl1RC3X7Lk The match: the visiting squad Lecce found a suberb goal from Coda early on in the first half, then chances wasted. The Calabrian side holding on to equal the match in the middle of the second half. Not much else to mention.

1 Like

27 players and staff, a record number, from Serie B club Reggiana have tested positive to the virus. It is presumed that they all were in contact to a person while travelling to a match at Ascoli Piceno. The club may have to forfit the following Saturdays match against Salernitana.

Surely they would allow a delay for it?

Don’t be so sure. Have a look at the Juve vs Napoli game.

Good article on the magnificent San Siro in the Guardian today, and ridiculously it seems as if it is not being designated as worth saving:

I get it’s probably got loads of problems, but they’ll put up some generic modern comfortable characterless shitbowl which will no doubt be indistinguishable from every other generic modern comfortable characterless shitbowl built in the 21st Century.

Anyhow they linked to this great video on the construction of the 3rd tier of this amazing stadium. It’s in Italian but the eye candy works:

3 Likes

One site mentions that the club to avoid losing the match completely, they will have to draw players from the youth team (primavera). Another one says that it is unjust to let the club play on. Also another report, since the match against Cittadella was already postponed from last weekend, the club cannot continue delaying another match.

it’s a pretty shit situation. All that will happen is teams might look into hiding positive cases and taking greater risks in order to not lose points. Especially teams at the top and bottom ends of the table. The amount of money at stake would be huge…

The day after arriving in Milano from Sydney in early 1979, I went to San Siro for a Milan vs Vicenza (featuring a young but already famous Paolo Rossi) . Amazing scenes in the then middle-aged version of the stadium. Didn’t notice Rossi do much that day but was amazed at this young kid Milan had playing at CB. Was just so cool and calm, read the game so much quicker than anybody else and had that aristocratic way of moving the ball out of defence, like Beckenbauer, Krol etc. Asked the people next to me who this young kid was. They said: Franco Baresi.

The next time I was at the San Siro was 30 years later, I didn’t recognise it it had been modernised so much. It was the day Inter clinched the scudetto. What an amazing squad they had and, as for amazing scenes, well the Inter ultras can be a pretty nasty, racist bunch in what they chant, but when the stadium broke into amala at the end … (tears)

3 Likes

Never been there but one of my favourite ever games was at that ground - the Inter - Samp one in 1991 where champions Inter slaughtered Samp 0-2 to all but allow Samp to win their only title. The golden era of Serie A. Those two teams were absolutely fantastic.

1 Like

image Redirect Notice

2 Likes