The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Pitch condition has improved and looks fine for Wednesday:

If the intention is to stage more concerts in the new venue then a roll in/out playing surface should be a mandatory requirement.

why would they though? Only SFC is affected due to most concerts being in summer and the SCG Trust has long shown they rarely care about us

How about other events like Motor Cross, Boxing, X Games and maybe even Basketball (2 NBA teams).
It needs to be a multi-purpose rectangular stadium and a roll in/out pitch increases the options while reducing the costs associated with repairing the surface after each event.

All those already have decent venues that are more suited. Remember are roll in/out pitch requires a shit load of space, time, energy and technology that costs even more money.

In any case, basketball is generally indoors and it’s already got stadiums that suit their requirements. Boxing doesn’t need a specific stadium/floor. The Horne fight was in Suncorp and there wasn’t any major issues, they just built the boxing ring on the grass and charged huge for seats on the grass.

Motor Cross and X Games are the only potential ones but even then, don’t see the trust being interested. X Games could potentially use and Motor Cross would be a tough one. My understanding that Motor Cross takes a while to set up, would there be an extended period of time SFS isn’t used to allow for this?

Probably not strictly motorcross, but they had this at Spotless a few weeks back - Australia - You Got This - 2019 | Nitro Circus

The whole “we need 45k for outdoor concerts” line is BS. Hindmarsh regularly hosts big outdoor concerts like Foo Fighters etc and thats a tiny stadium in comparison.

Outdoor events like Nitro Circus etc are better suited to ANZ and Spotless anyway.

Also, remember that at concerts, the pitch is full of concert goers, not just the stands (albeit, sometimes losing some seating behind the stage, depending on the configuration), but overall, a 35k seater stadium for a concert will fit a lot more than 35k. (Allianz, which holds 45k had 51k at coldplay).

Some stadiums make accommodation for concerts by designing some part of the stands to convert to a stage so as to not damage the playing surface to the same extent as placing the stage on the pitch.

That’s a pretty good idea.

What’s the population Adelaide is catering for in this regard compared to the population Sydney is catering for? I’d say Adelaide’s would be quite smaller.

I think the population in Adelaide is 10

Forza Leichhardt Oval.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, in 2014 Adelaide’s population was a quarter that of Sydney’s (1.277m v 4.452m)

That’s a lot of pissants…

1 Like

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/labor-vows-to-sack-alan-jones-scg-board/news-story/e130ec449a55c5cc03d0f2f107851cf9

3 Likes

as someone who doesn’t live in NSW I support this move.

This is the ultimate test of Squires’ stance that whatever pisses off Alan Jones must be good.

1 Like

It is a stance that we simply must admire and adhere to.

7 Likes