The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Shazza gets pretty feisty after a couple of shandys.

2 Likes

Another long time Dragons member here and am really chuffed that SFC are playing so many games at Kogarah.

Our seats at Jubilee happen to be in the same section of the grand stand where our Dragons membership seats are, though somewhat higher. I encouraged some fellow Dragons supporters to come along to some SFC games when they were complaining that the NRL had finished.

Playing at Kogarah is a great incentive for Dragons fans to come to games. Plus it shows Southern Expansion that Kogarah Is Sky Blue (when it’s not red and white!)

1 Like

We’ve been told it’s the same rake

Appears that they’ve convinced both the ridiculously sizes screens to make one super ridiculously sized screen at the scg.

I demand a screen which can be seen from space!

I demand a screen in space big enough to be seen from the SCG so that the architectural heritage isn’t diminished. Shit, space is only like 50 years old, the SCG is twice that!

1 Like

How did people find the SCG tonight? I’m curious how it went.

From a cove perspective it was good, we are actually 3 meters closer and the rake especially in the second tier is much better. Have seen some photos from sideline and it looks terrible

1 Like

I thought the Cove end was excellent, way better than expected. Good rake, functioning roof, and considering how far back I was… we were high up with a decent view, and still somehow seemed closer to the net than the back row at Allianz. I’d call it an upgrade. Minimal bar queues too. :+1:

Platinum members, maybe not so much. :joy: They really seemed like they were set about 100m further back than their old sideline seats. And the bronze / unreserved next to RBB would have been utter shite viewing.

2 Likes

The bronze seats in the lower tier near the corner flag was pretty bad when the ball was in the other 1/2. Barely saw the 1st goal.

The 2nd tier seats give a much better view. Will need to judge again after the pitch is brought closer to the main stand…

2 Likes

Massive kudos to the club for its organisation of last night. Great amount of friendly, helpful stadium staff on hand checking if people knew where they were going and making sure everyone could find their seats. The ground looked like it was our home ground and felt like it for the most part with the large banners etc up on the walls.

Really great job to make the best out of the displacement.

5 Likes

The view from lower tier reserved was awful, even sitting at the very back of the bay. Im glad the majority of games will be Kogarah. The distance between stands also killed the cove/sideline interactions

1 Like

Is there actually a seat map for the next SCG game (in March)?

1 Like

I was sitting around the area of wwtd first pic but lasted 10 minutes before changing to the back of the OReilly which was pretty good.

I reckon the Cove would sound better if they set up on the bottom of the stand rather than the concourse, would improve with the echo from the roof rather than open air

I thought the SCG was going to be crap but I was pleasantly surprised. I stood at the very front of the second tier of the cove. It was a brilliant view, way better than even the back of the cove at SFS. You could see right down to the goal. Anywhere on that second tier is a great view because the stand is reasonably steep. Also there seemed to be much less of a line for food and drinks which was good. Overall I actually thought it was pretty good.

1 Like

It’s a shame that SCG map isn’t anywhere near scale - the ground is far from circular

Sitting up top was about equivalent the top tier of ANZ, though I think shifting the pitch over will make a huge difference. Will suck not having Redfern/Surry Hills for pre-game until March.

Good view but terrible atmosphere up on top of the new stand in bay 403, which is Silver (where 24 and 25 have been shunted off to) Think in future years going for the same stand as the Cove would give better value for money, given the atmosphere.
What was nice from up in 403 was the sunset over the old stands, and, when getting in, the unusual view over our old home next door.

They do, though it appeared to be closed last night.

Concur with the positive thoughts re: the cove end last night, thought it was great. Food and drink queues were very short too, though the beer was more atrocious than I remember.