The travelling circus: stadia discussion

I loved the banners of all our best moments as a club plastered on the walls on the way into the cove

2 Likes

Sides looked awful & seeing the coaching staff, reserves etc perched out in the middle was odd but view from the Cove was an improvement as were the lines apart from the far screen being next to useless & the long slow walk to get out to the grounds.

I thought the atmosphere was massively deadened by the nature of the stadium. We were in in our platinum plus member’s seats and hardly anyone around us got into any of the chants, which is not what was happening at Allianz. I’m actually pretty pleased that we only have 3 more games there this season.

Our Allianz seats were in the lower tier Bay 10 Row FF which were relatively ‘low’ but not too far from the sideline. We were close enough to be able to recognise the players.

We were surprised to find ourselves in Bay 402 at the SCG, which is very high in the new stand. While being much further from the sideline, the height gave us a good view of the field and close enough to The Cove to appreciate the atmosphere they created. Had to struggle to recognise the players but got used to it eventually. Bay 402 does not give good viewing angle of the big screen and the screen on the other side of the ground is too small to read the clock.

For me, I thought the bench and coaches were sitting on the ‘wrong’ side, as were the TV cameras. I guess there’s a logical reason.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have the same experience as scooter regarding finding our seats. We came in through Gate A and had no idea how to get to Bay 402. There were no staff there to help and no signage. We had to go and look for someone to ask them how to get to our bay. Wasn’t a big deal. Maybe we’re too used to being spoon fed everything.

‘First world problems’.

That view over the back of the SFS was weird and amazing but from a game point of view it was hard to work out who was who on the field and we couldn’t tell how long there was left in the game as there was game clock you see.

Lucky that it’s a smiddy not a schooner then.

We were allocated in the bottom tier not far from the side line, which as we quickly discovered it meant that it was really difficult to watch the game. We ended up going to the top tier and watching from there as well, it was much easier to see the play develop, even if the pitch was really far away. The membership team are now moving us there permanently (all credit to them).

It was a little sad seeing the old girl next door though.

3 Likes

From the side you felt so far away. Had the big screen at an awkward angle but found myself watching that a lot.

One positive that I just thought of, hopefully the vantage point from where I took the photo will allow us to view the stadium development from time to time - it will get pretty exciting in the latter parts of the development.

1 Like

It was a long way away from Bay 1 in the Bradman. We had thought it was good that we were right next to players’ tunnel but didn’t realise the field was so far away - with not much height from lower tier, it was hard to see the action. Was thinking about asking to be moved up… but not sure what type of seats are left for Silver

Talk to the membership team. I moved to Bay 444, which is silver. The reason we moved there was so that we can see the screen to the left. It’s still far away, but you follow the game a lot better because of the elevation.

If what I was told is correct, the pitch will be closer to the stands for the remaining games (it was centered for the derby, but for the smaller games, the far stands will be closed).

1 Like

Correct.
Trumper and Churchill stands closed

I’ve just noticed this in the following link but on game day at Jubilee all express services on the line will be stopping at Carlton (I assume within a certain time before the game at least):

https://www.sydneyfc.com/home-game-transport-201819

Good service that, it’s such an easy walk.

1 Like

I guess anyone who is catching the train from the city will have to catch T8 train via airport, change at wolli creek and then a train to carlton. It will be the same on the way back after the game.

2 Likes

I wonder why that post was flagged by the community?

But yeah that’s going to make the trip in way more complicated.

Don’t know either.

Just look at the pdf of upcoming trackwork till end of Jan 19. Our 2nd home game at Jubilee against Wellington, the whole Eastern Suburbs/Illawarra/South Coast lines will be closed and replaced by buses.

So Labor has come out much more firmly against the knockdown/rebuild process under Michael Daley:

Then someone better detonate that shithole SFS before march.

1 Like

Can’t believe how much of a debacle this stadium debate has turned into.

FFS it’s not rocket science. Sydney needs an AAMI Park where Moore Park is and a 60-65k seater stadium at Homebush.

Anything more than that is lunacy.

1 Like

I can’t honestly remember who I voted for at the state election before the last one, but Daley’s forcing me to vote for the Liberals now. We need this new stadium to bring Sydney in line with the rest of the country (let alone the world) in sporting infrastructure.

Reeks of “it came from them, so must be bad”.

Pull your fucking head in.