The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Seems to be most of our views as the best outcome.

I just hope we get the same as the wanderers are getting at Parramatta …but with some extras that make ours better.

Not being in Parramatta will be a good start

5 Likes

Basically we need the new SFS to be a slightly larger version of Derby County’s Pride Park, with more corporate seating. That would suit all tenants perfectly.

Sydney’s stadium policy should look like this:
1st tier - National stadium: 80,000 - Homebush
2nd tier - CBD stadiums: 30,000-40,000 - new SFS and Parramatta
3rd teir - Suburban stadiums in north, south and west: 20,000 - Kogarah, Brookvale, Leichhardt, Penrith & Campbelltown etc

Each tier of stadium is suitable for a different level of event and patronage. No need for the new SFS to be able to host state of origin or grand finals when that’s exactly the kind of big event that Homebush was designed for.

Estádio do Bessa or go to Pell!

The proposed SFS is identical to what it was 45k - once you deduct the Trust and corporate seats it’s probably 35k public, not much more than WSS.

Once you add demo costs and inflation you are probably talking $400m for an identikit WSS, versus $600m for the current proposal which has plans, approvals and is ready to go.

Libs are happy to fund $600m (with a contribution from the SCGT). Labor wants to fund $0 !

If Labor gets elected there is a big risk that Sydney FC is without a permanent home for years to come.

So we should all vote Liberal in the state election!

Didn’t say that.
Plenty of reasons why I don’t like the Libs.

But simply due to their
Stadium policy, and
Transport (threat to rip up light rail, and stopping the Metro at Sydenham)
My preference will be to Libs over Labor.

But if people like Keep Sydney Open run a candidate in my seat, a protest vote will be heading their way

I think the next State & Federal elections will see a lot of votes for minor parties as there is a lot to dislike about the Libs, Nats, Labor & Greens.

I’m not sure of the timing and don’t want to jinx us…but if we get to host the GF, can it be at the new Parra Stadium? The only proper option tbh

1 Like

That would do very nicely for my “first competitive fixture there” wish. :+1:

I believe the club has already stated it will be at scg, semi at kogarah

I’m glad i moved out of nsw for this election, not one even remotely decent option to vote for

Whatever your political leanings, Labor winning the State election sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario for SFC.

1 Like

I’m just happy my crazy neighbor isn’t running as an independent in Ryde. Apparently when he used to do door knocking, you’d be forced to sign his support sheet or he’d just keep on talking and not leave…

I looked up Wenty Park yesterday as its supposedly a superb playing pitch, has floodlights, has a grandstand with corporate facilities and is in a good location close to Central Station, buses and the Light Rail.

I’ve played at Wentworth Park for school football and every game the pitch is pretty average even to the low school standards. No way it could be anywhere near the minimum requirements for an AFC Game.

Labor leader Michael Daley insists the design of the stadium will be more modest and in keeping with the local environment if he’s elected.

He is also not committing to offering the entire line of credit but would wait and see what other more “cost effective” options are presented.

I’m OK with this.

“We don’t want to see it knocked down, but if the Liberal Party goes ahead then the cost of rebuilding it will be borne by the Trust and not the taxpayer.” Mr Daley said.

This is less good from an SFC perspective, but I think it would be likely that Labour would compromise by paying for part of it, which I think is a positive situation. Let’s say the government could put in a similar amount to Parra ($300m) then it’s on the trust if they want to go for the dick-swinging $700m stadium.

1 Like

Interesting that the PBO think the Trust can repay the loan. It’s been rare to get a sense of non-partisan feasibility for this whole project.

“This is a $19.5 million annual repayment from a body that has an average operating surplus of $1.5 million,” Mr Ayres said.

You missed this, so they need to increase their profits x10. So essentially they will be in a position in which no clubs will be able to afford playing there

1 Like

I’d trust the non-partisan PBO over the incumbent Minister for Sport on budgetary stuff like that. I’m not sure what assumptions the PBO are using though, which would be my main concern.