The travelling circus: stadia discussion

also bearing in mind, Labor last year suggested they would fold the SCG Trust into Venues NSW, where would money come from then? Or would they take any profits from all venues managed by Venues NSW to repay the loan?

Pure envy wedge $ politics.

Labor quite happily supports the rebuild of the 1986 built Parramatta stadium but requires no loan repayment from Venues NSW.

But wants a body that (from that article makes $1.5m a year and is a trust) to have to pay $20+m a year to rebuild an equally decrepit 1987/8 built stadium.

Where’s the difference?
Oh yes. One stadium is in the East

I’m not sure a stadium can ever be ‘in keeping with the local environment’ - the existing SFS stands out like dogs balls.

Unless of course Daley wants to tip in a $1bn and we can get some expert stonemasons and a new quarry and build an exterior that matches the Randwick barracks or the Members Pavilion at the SCG

Surely just a giant piccollo glass? Or it should resemble a whole bunch of $100 notes spread over the ground?

[quote="Paulska, it should resemble a whole bunch of $100 notes [/quote] in a brown paper bag…

We could replace beer showers with Soy Decaf Latte showers

And Tiffos, with creative coffee art

If the CFMEU fluke the election win, do you really think they would stop a construction project?

They would simply double the costs and provide half the facilities.

5 Likes

Is he one of the old school Labor blokes who’ve been spending a fair bit of time at ICAC in recent years?

Nah he’s always been an independent and been pushing heavy/fast rail connections for intercity. He’s got some issues that aren’t being handled properly and he’s essentially been given free reign buy his family, where he should actually be taken to a facility.

In general, would feel sorry for the guy, but living next to him is a pain. He’s reported my car for parking on the street where the bins usually go on collection day. I understand that it’s slightly annoying, but I don’t park there on bin day. So he reported my car for parking in a legal spot on the off chance that it may be there on the day the bins go out.

Worst is we found out at strata AGM, our management company charges $1.10 for excessive emails, per email. This guy sends out 5 emails a day to the manager…

It’s in the Labor-held electorate of Heffron though.

Neighbours, eh?? Don’t get me started…

The main differences are that the Parramatta stadium was properly budgeted and planned whereas the SFS rebuild was not.

Also, the SFS was given to the SCGT as a free gift and in the years it has been operating the Trust seems not to have budgeted for its replacement. And while the SFS has deteriorated over time, there is a cricket ground next door that seems to not to have any of these problems.

ALP at a state level feel a bit scattergun at the moment, Daley seems to be saying a big statement every other day.

Ideal outcome out of this would be a more modest rebuild of SFS like Jay D mentioned, ideally 30k.

https://www.facebook.com/113534507727/posts/10157181783097728?sfns=mo

I give it about a month into the season and it will be a sandpit

Looking forward to going along to the first ever game there.

Glad that the first match ever is an Eels game not a NWSW game.

As I understand the Trust paid for the initial construction of the SFS, on trust land - was SCG No. 2. Prior Govts (including prior Labor govts) kicked in for the more recent SCG stands (which replaced a really decrepit 1950s build and layer build).

Trust finances are what they are. Unless you want a significant increase ticket prices or food and drink prices, the money isn’t there.

Plenty of issues with the other stands at the SCG and they have long term plans to replace the Brewongle and O’Reilly. Members and Ladies have major accessibility issues (no lifts and really steep stairs) but we’ll heritage.

Personally think that’s still to small - a number of NRL, Rugby and SFC games have been well over that in recent years.

But more importantly any change now is going to set things back another 12-18 months as you have a new design, new approvals and new contract tenders.

That’s super rare, the Roosters would do that 2 or 3 times a season (ANZAC Day game/Souths’ games/Semis) and the Waratahs haven’t done that in years.

If Ayres was being honest with the figures he was quoting, that would read “This is a $19.5 million annual repayment from a body with an annual operating revenue of $99.4 million”.

Suddenly a whole lot less unreasonable, when you consider the impact that a modern stadium would make on bottom line through attendances (the roof alone), modern corporate facilities, retail turnover, etc.

Realistically though, if SCG Trust knew that they had to foot the bill instead of getting a blank check from a minister who’ll transition straight onto the SCGT Board when his political career ends, then suddenly the rebuild wouldn’t inexplicably be double the cost of the Parramatta one, and the repayments on the new price-tag would be significantly lower still.

1 Like

Apparently Inner West Council will be putting in reinforced fences from now on at the Cove end. The Mayor says they aren’t used to such passionate supporters.

2 Likes

Source ?