The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Great idea. Add on that list with $25m for mates and $25m for unions and bobs your uncle

Perfect for Siem De Jong if he says on the books.

2 Likes

Given WSS cost $360m a lot of extra costs

Doubt it would be as low as double the price. You’re not factoring the point that most of those companies building stadiums in Europe would have used ridiculously cheap Eastern European labor, plus the sheer amount of competition you have between companies from throughout Europe. It would only be comparable if we were to bring in labor from China and pay them Chinese rates.

In laws are in civil construction, they’re telling me just the cost of concrete is killing a lot of contractors. With all the road infrastructure and other building happening, most concrete plants are almost on 24hr production and charging for it as well.

Going by RBA figures, the cost of a 100 apartment complex will set you back $47,000,000 in Sydney. Translate that into something even bigger with a stadium, the costs start to make more sense.

https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/rdp/2018/2018-03/apartment-prices-and-marginal-costs.html

Apparently the new Spurs stadium in London cost close to 1b usd. Its a bit bigger though than what we are getting

Yep, I’d rather a smaller stadium but if that’s not going to happen then a fabric curtain would be a basic requirement.

western sydney (despite ANZ) get close to 400M and no questions asked about that… no political shit storm?

wanderers get a shiny new stadium and we are left with a fucking hole in the ground.

fuck i hate this political point scoring bullshit

1 Like

would love to see how much money has been wasted already on pointless court cases, as well as how much will be lost, should construction be halted.

Also the question is, can the SCG Trust take the government to court, should Labor change the agreement. Surely a contract has been signed which the government needs to honor, not withstanding if Labor, Liberals, Greens or any other party being in power…

I wonder if it’s because Parramatta Stadium didn’t have the amenities that Allianz already offered. The roof didn’t cover anywhere close to enough seats (worse than Allianz) and from memory the corporate stuff wasn’t up to scratch either. But yes it is interesting no one has questioned the worth of that stadium.

wasn’t done right before an election wasn’t it?

WSS was also a 50% increase the capacity over a stadium whose regular tennants routinely sold out.

That and the order of magnitude difference between $300m and $2b.

where’d you get $2bn from? It’s $729m isn;t it?

The political campaign came out of the decision to upgrade both SFS and anz

Well a lot of the reporting is about the coalition’s “$2B stadiums policy”. SFS is merely the flashpoint because of the stage where it’s at as the election looms.

Stadium upgrades out of electricity privatisation (WSS, ANZ and SFS) have been Lib policy since 2014 and were taken to the last election.
In 2014 they were talking of building a 65k seater on Kippax Lake and Moore Park (and I suspect junking ANZ). Then the Centennial Park Trust complained, Baird flipped money to ANZ for a roof, then Gladys flipped money back to Allianz.

If they’d followed through on the initial proposal we would have had a new stadium already with no time away from a home ground, and they’d be demolishing Allianz to return it to parkland.

I’d only been to Parramatta a couple of times - the roof coverage was about the same as Allianz, but it had had even less money spent on it over the years (no new jumbotron, or upgrades to dining outlets etc - in the Parliamentary report above Trust said it had spent $50m on the SFS over the last 10yrs - both facilities and ground).

The issue with the new WSS is it’s already pulled three of ANZs tenants (Wanderers, Eels and Tigers)… meaning ANZ won’t have many games left to justify a big spend.

ANZ is going to be left with Dogs and Souths only as full-time tenants plus a few higher draw games (say NRL GF, NRL SOO, 1 Wallabies, 1 Socceroos) -

What no School? You monster.

1 Like

Won’t somebody please think of the children?!

The corporate facilities are used as classrooms during the day. Obviously.

Milos (by then a Milos III) will be taking opponents to school on a regular basis.

Survey on it here:
https://footballtoday.news/features/new-sydney-football-stadium-yes-or-no