The travelling circus: stadia discussion

I really struggle to see why the 3 tenants of the SFS justify a stadium bigger than Juventus’s, whose capacity is less than several Sydney derby crowds. But they get by with that size.

There are always games for which any stadium won’t have enough seats, but we’re better off getting our floor up to 15,000 than keeping it at 10,000 and relying on a bumper crowd once or twice a season. Having an intimate atmosphere in an appropriate stadium is how that will occur, as mentioned up the page with increased memberships being the result, as has been seen with Wests.

That taxpayers’ money needs to be squandered to cater for the kind of people that need to have their arm twisted to show up is wrong. If we get that 45k stadium, it is absolutely guaranteed that the atmosphere at Wests will be significantly better than at Moore park, and I remain unconvinced that a big tarp covering the top ring will make all that much of a difference in those typical 13k match days.

Anyway, as for the right size, I think 25k is too small. AAMI Park is 30k as will be New Parra. Obviously from a dick swinging point of view, we just need a little more than these two :wink: . The sweet spot is low 30s IMO. 32k Would have held the last 2 of our home derbies.

4 Likes

This is basically my point. Would be good to have say your 32k stadium at moore park, then have the new ANZ stadium with two modes of say 45k and 80k.

1 Like

That does me! I hereby appoint you minister for infrastructure.

1 Like

Oh wow, it’s not like they haven’t thought that a 25k seat stadium would create a better atmosphere and planned to create an option to have this most weeks, but also have the option to expand to 45k as required

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

The famous tarp?
And you’re still using that same wedge of taxpayers’ money building those extra 15k seats for that 1-2 occasions per calendar year where you go beyond low 30k.

You’re assuming it is only used for sport, where in reality it will also host other events like concerts which are more likely to fill a large stadium.

…of which there is one next door.

and at Homebush

1 Like

Club trying to counter this by making it the mates night out thingy, think we’ve done that against Welly before as the typical lowest-drawers.

Kudos for that. Now if only they didn’t have the work experience kid posting the match day info:

I don’t believe it’s a double header, and kick off is 5:35pm. Pretty poor cut & paste job there…

Been pretty fucking fantastic for atmosphere in Atlanta, but sure… sneer away…

LOL looks like they fixed it, as the sample looks fine now.

From wiki it appears that their smallest crowd in 2 seasons of football is above our highest ever crowd. So that’s a tarp above a full SFS. I think we can say Atlanta are in a different league to us.
Are there any other examples of use of these 2 mode stadia where the budget mode is more in our league?

I don’t know, I’d prefer that our stadium didn’t look like a lego version of a gaping anus.

3 Likes

mate if yours looks like that, you have bigger problems than our stadium…

Whenever anyone uses the words “iconic” and “architecture” in the same sentence… be afraid. Be very afraid.

It’s a football ground, everyone is looking at the pitch not the stadium.

And roofs, humans have been building them for over 5,000 years. There are no new ways to make them.

OK I take it all back. If the SCG trust wants to build this for us I’m ok :wink:

That’s a strange stadium in that it can look very different from different angles. It relies on the way the roof comes back in to tie it all together, because if you look at just the lower portion, the rake seems pretty flat, but looking at the whole thing with the roof in, it looks imposing and close.
So I think that kind of thing can work but relies on a roof which can close the whole thing in nicely.

Don’t forget American stadiums always start the seating 1-2 metres elevated above the field, so even the worst seats still have a decent elevated view above the action. As opposed to Australian stadiums where the front row of seats are level with the field with the view often obscured by advertising signage.

Disagree, when you think of Wembley, Bernabau, Camp Nou, Allianz Arena and a whole host of other stadiums, you also think of the architecture. Remeber, architecture refers both to inside and outside

Don’t forget American stadiums always start the seating 1-2 metres elevated above the field, so even the worst seats still have a decent elevated view above the action.

This is something I noticed in Japan. JEF united’s stadium (IIRC) had stands that started about 2m above the pitch and one end had a proper warm up space for the benchies underneath the stand, at pitch level. It was super cool - great views and atmosphere with about 10k in.