The travelling circus: stadia discussion

This is going to make keeping the stadium pretty damn hard.

Sounds perfect. By the time Labor romps and we’re rid of Gladys, the roof and seats are gone, meaning the “rebuild” could just fix existing roof and rake in half the time?

/wishful thinking

As an aside, if the SCG Trust only make $2M a year then it begs the question whose pockets the rest of it is going into.

I’m sure those 2 x Jumbotrons at the SFS weren’t free. I’d assume the money goes into a kitty from which they pay for various stadium maintenance & upgrades.

I just assume that they siphon money straight into whatever it is that benefits AFL, cricket and rugger. The SCGT would surely be your OB network in effect.

Daily Telegraph article today says the two mode featured has been quietly dropped on grounds of cost

Champions League games will be played at Kogarah according to the member’s email from Danny Townsend.

Given that we can’t have people on the hill according to the AFC regulations, it should make for a nice, intimate atmosphere.

Can you paste the article?
Also, this stadium can quitely GGF. It is already officially shite.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-clubs-continue-to-struggle-with-costs-and-management-of-stadiums/news-story/bc4b715700488aed3871388259bed32e

Thanks, but could someone paste the relevant section? I don’t have sub for the Terror.

1 Like

This was mentioned when they released the artists impression video a little while back.
It’s going to be really shit.

That better not be the case. The two mode set up is the best part of the new stadium design.

Also, from the SMH:

Asked whether, should Labor win the election, one result would be for a smaller and cheaper stadium to be built on the site, Mr Shepherd said: “That’s quite possible … but again I’m not clairvoyant.

Would be interesting if labour did get in and say that they will only fund a smaller stadium at a lower cost. Imagine if we ended up getting a new 30k stadium instead. Wishful thinking though.

It was going to be shit the second they went with the useless cunts who built the current one, instead of getting a slightly larger Parra.

1 Like

the whole, Labor refusing to fund a stadium thing will be bs, especially as they’ve already started dismantling it. They’d be left looking pretty stupid if there was an empty un-usable stadium in the center of the city. On top of that, they’d have to pay out contracts signed with the demolition companies, as well as anyone else that is involved. You’d be pretty much paying a shitload to have a derelict building. Labor is just using it as a publicity stunt they know they won’t be held accountable for.

Per the SMH article above " In a briefing to members of the SCG Trust last Thursday, David Riches, the Infrastructure NSW bureaucrat in charge of building a $729 million facility to replace the football stadium, also known as Allianz, said he expected planning approval for demolition “within the next two or three weeks".

“Almost immediately” after obtaining that planning approval, Mr Riches said, the government would be able to sign a demolition contract. Contractors are expected to take over the stadium from January 2."
So, no, they haven’t “already started dismantling it”…

Again: "Addressing members at last week’s briefing, the chairman of the SCG Trust, Tony Shepherd, said his organisation would not be signing the contract – Infrastructure NSW would – but that he would sit down with any possible new government to assess its options.

“It will be up to them to make that decision based on the state of demolition at that time,” Mr Shepherd said.

Asked whether, should Labor win the election, one result would be for a smaller and cheaper stadium to be built on the site, Mr Shepherd said: “That’s quite possible … but again I’m not clairvoyant.”

Mr Daley has suggested the SCG Trust could pay for a stadium by itself, either through its own borrowings or a concessional loan from the government. "

All clear as mud and a long way from settled, I’d expect.

Demolition and dismantling are two different things, lots of fixtures and fittings are gone, as are most of the seats, hence Dogga’s seat being at Kogarah in front of the cove.

Perfect.

It will need to be rebuilt again.

Keeps the wheel spinning.

Excellent.

And DPE have now granted permission for the SFS to be demolished

2 Likes

Please please please please. This would please me no end as a taxpayer and an SFC fan.

I asked the club and the stadium people if I could get my chair to keep as a memorial to the stadium, Danny passed me on to membership, they passed me on to the stadium, and they never got back to me.

Such is life I guess.