The weather thread: smalltalk edition

It was a deliberate rhetorical comment that I made, and I appreciate your longer response, which is the kind of thing the comment was really trying to look for.

Also disgusting but he didnā€™t post them in here.
The political point scoring coming out of all of this is a sign of how out of touch all politicians are with what is going on.
Greens policy that has reduced the amount of hazard reduction burning that occurs has contributed to the severity of the fires.
The Coalitions refusal to take climate change seriously, or even acknowledge it in some parts, continues to fuel the conditions that make these fires more severe. It also reduces the window in which safe hazard reduction burning can take place.
All sides of politics are to blame for the situation we find ourselves in so fucking work together to fix the problem instead of pandering to political interests.

So much for the smalltalk editionā€¦

Itā€™s also important to be reminded that no one is going to make this go away. Even if for example the Greens were to be elected, our climate is in it (this change) for the long term, and the problem arises from global consumption.

However, the coalitionā€™s huge problems in terms of long term outlook (accepting that climate change is happening and taking steps to reduce our contribution to the problem) and steps to mitigate the situation we are now in and will increasingly continue to be (reduced funding of the rfs, lack of interest in any public infrastructural program) is why there has to be a political element to this. Thatā€™s how meaningful change occurs.

The Coalition has been in power at a state and federal level for 3 terms.

That image of Morrison waving a lump of coal in parliament, I mean that alone should haunt the Coalition for decades.

The Greens support hazard reduction burning. They also havenā€™t been in a position to legislate otherwise so I donā€™t see how this argument holds water. For proof see point 28 here:

There was a comment from either the head of Parks and Wildlife or RFS which said that the level of hazard reduction burning this year was what they wanted. Itā€™s just proving tremendously difficult to google that comment right now.

Edit: Thereā€™s a reference to similar comments in here:

A spokesperson for the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has told Guardian Australia that the National Parks and Wildlife Service carried out hazard reduction activities across more than 139,000ha in 2018 and 2019.
The NPWS had a hazard reduction target to treat 680,000ha of parks and reserves in the five years from 2011, which the spokesperson said it had exceeded.

First fire now reported in Sydney, which feels like it could be just the start.

1 Like

You could have hazard reduction burns until there were only grasslands covering the state and on days like today you would still have out of control fires.

Hazard reduction burning has some minimal help by reducing intensity, but is not a solution.

It is mainly used by those in power to be seen to be doing something.

3 Likes

Southerly has hit Kiama now. Seems to be dropping temps down from the 30s to around 19.

It hasnā€™t been through any of the more serious fires yet, but the change in direction and attached gusts will make things unpredictable for fire fighters. Hereā€™s hoping it doesnā€™t.

Government now censoring discussion on link between climate change and fires:

^ absolute joke

Thereā€™s no hope of changing the minds of people smirking and deflecting and denying when it comes to the climate emergency. They need to be punted from power because they are failing the Australian people.

Essentially this argument is like the one that happens in the US when there is a massacre and people start talking about gun control.

Look, thoughts and prayers will fix this. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

When a politician says ā€œthoughts and prayersā€ for the bushfires, you can safely interpret that as ā€œIā€™m going to do nothing about climate changeā€

I voted Liberal at the most recent elections at both levels. I may or may not be regretting that callā€¦

If only there was a viable 3rd option that werenā€™t self-serving cunts.

Itā€™s a tough choice when one are arsehole cunts and the other are embarrassingly incompetent.

To be fair, both are embarrassingly incompetent.

South Park put it pretty succinctly, I feel.

1 Like

Donā€™t blame me, I voted for Kodos.

4 Likes

Those darn woke inner-city greenies are at it againā€¦

3 Likes

I am staring out of my office window at weather that reminds me of Blade Runner 2049 and dystopia in general.