The weather thread: smalltalk edition

The sickly yellow hue over everything today is a new, rough addition to what has been an atrocious week of smoke haze.

Welcome to what has generally been what we’ve been going through for the best part of 3 months now. Not a single week has gone by without the town being shrouded in smoke. More often than not more days are smoke affected than clear.
It’s only over the last week or so that air quality monitors have been installed in Lismore though so, you know, Sydney’s got it worse. Don’t get me wrong, I feel sorry for everyone going through the poor air quality but considering there hasn’t been a week go by for months now without people losing property or stock up here due to the fires and kids not being able to play outside at school due to the air quality, it’s hard to have sympathy for a city where pollution alone makes the air dangerous to breathe at times at this time of year.
By the way we had a couple of storms over the weekend. The first couple, when it finally rained instead of just blowing a gale and throwing lightning, smelled just like throwing water on a campfire. The air was almost choking to breathe and to make matters worse there is a serious concern that the water supply has been contaminated from fire ground run-off.
But yeah, smokey in Sydney…

2 Likes

I’m sure everyone has discussed it to death with someone else, but far out today really is something else.

1 Like

Looks like a triple dose of thoughts and prayers may be required today.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I work in North Sydney on the 17th floor and I can’t even see Goat Island.

Our work Christmas do which was a barefoot bowls thing has been cancelled due to the weather.
Small mercies and all that.

When I went across the harbour bridge this morning I couldn’t even make out the Opera House. Crazy

Screen capture of the stream of the Shield game - NSW v Qld at the SCG

Can’t believe they’re still playing.

I got a shot across Pyrmont Bridge towards the Maritime Museum a couple of hours ago…

There’s an island in Brosque’s honor?

7 Likes

Yeah, you can normally see it from the Carle Expressway.

6 Likes

Scott Morrison needs to resign today. He’s not up to it, we don’t have time for him.

Discussing the religious discrimination bill rather than some drastic plan to address our climate emergency. 11x Hazardous air quality levels.

11x hazardous levels was due to the low visibility not the actual quality of the air.
The air particulate quality, while poor, was “only” a couple of times above standard.

You can catch Ferry McFlynn there from below said expressway.

7 Likes

Thanks, I will breath easier now.

Everything is horrible.

can’t believe how hot and humid it is, even though it’s been raining all night.

I am now cold.