The weather thread: smalltalk edition

I bought a motorcycle and take full responsibility for the shit weather that no doubt will plague Sydney every weekend until next winter.

1 Like

Last month, Observatory Hill measured the rainfall as nearly three times the June average. So yes, it has been a fucking wet winter so far.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather this than stinking fucking hot and fires.

I love this weather.

Why canā€™t we have neitherā€¦

I quite like a bit of rain myself - but I worry that with full dams and a went summer predicted a lot of people are going to get fucked on.

Up until June Perth was the driest it had ever been. 21mm of rain from October to May I think it was.

Another year or two of that sort of stuff and Perth will have to import water from somewhere.

Try playing club soccerā€¦ We had a 5 week break, one game and now weā€™re on break again. I was hoping to use it to get fit

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m in the same boat, one game in the last month, one training session in five weeks. This weekendā€™s games washed out and already just cancelled rather than being rescheduled. Unbelievable stuff.

yeah we got the same email. Theyā€™re preference is proper competitions with prizes etc. over anything else. Still really frustrating. Weā€™ve given up on even training

My solar production for June was the lowest since installation, seven years ago.

Weā€™re about average up here and barely had any rain at all during June (less than 5mm) and we had a week of 25 degree temps last week.
The problem is that the ground never really dried out after heavy late summer rain. Weā€™ve had 30mm this week and the ground is soaked again.

We havenā€™t had a frost yet either. Thereā€™s been a light one in a couple of locations but we even missed that as a way to kill off the top layer of grass and dry the ground out.

The big issue is that even the small amounts of rainfall weā€™ve had over the last week has seen the creeks and rivers react.
If we have a wet start to summer then I fully expect widespread flooding up here come February.

So last year at my place in the inner South was 1346ml for 12 months (to March)

This year since March weā€™re up to 1100ml+ already so yeahā€¦

Taken my father up to Katoomba this morning to see the 3 Sisters.

Just a balmy 2 degrees. Wind chill of minus 7.

:cold_face:

Yeah, Hilly and I are on the other side of the mountains in Bathurst and its been a rough few days here weather wise. I dont want to imagine how shit it was in places like Katoomba and Lithgow.

Fuck. That. Shit.

I know they call it the snowy mountains for a reason but apparently with windchill down at Thredbo this morning, it was -20. Why would people choose to go skiing, thatā€™s all Iā€™m asking

Well you get to drink afterwards

Ok well that is a reason I can get behind to be fair

1 Like

Yeah, but there are other places where it isnt a windchill of -20 that you can drink at tooā€¦

2 Likes

true, but thereā€™s really nothing nicer than being freezing cold, and the warmth you get from a nice cold shot of vodka, or 10ā€¦

I remember getting caught in a windstorm up Mount Kosciusko on our Year 11 camp. The guides who couldt have been much older than us had no idea what to doā€¦ they said it was -16 but with all the excitement we didnt really notice it.