TV Ratings and Revenue

I think it’s somewhere around the 1000 mark, much like polling to make it statistically valid.

Likewise, any football fan with half a brain would have given Fox the arse for Kayo as soon as it became available.

What I would like to know is, are there any ratings figures for Kayo?

It is all still dollars to Fox so should not be a problem if most of the drop has been a swap.

1 Like

Maybe everyone should just accept the general public could give two shits about this league. Even rusted on fans hardly care anymore. I haven’t watched a single non-sfc game all season.

It really is that way.
Zero advertising, exclusive to a platform that seems to be hemorrhaging subscribers and let’s be honest, alot of really fucking shit teams.

Yeah the league really needs a kick up the ass, with some star power, some advertising and the return of active support in some other clubs.

And Speed, Slater and Meredith need to be permanently assigned to the super important Fury-GCU fixture.

The whole fox approach needs assessment imo. Some games they have a panel on the field. Some games they have a panel in the studio. Bosnich being an overwrought 6 year old … Le Sigh.

The atmosphere is super important and needs reinvigoration.

3 Likes

This has been a rough year for a few reasons - Brisbane, Wanderers and City have had awful years and make up a large % of overall fans and eyeballs. The few bright spots have their own issues - Nix survival/Rudes and Glory have alienated fans for 10+ yrs. Honda hasnt cut through to general public the way other marquees have so we haven’t had that sugar hit. The product hasn’t been super compelling and the platform is dying slowly too.

Next year should really be different though - independent league has to be big in terms of marketing, Wanderers will invest and should get a bump out of the stadium, City must do something different so this could be the year they get Lampard, Western United will be a story (I think they will struggle to make the 6 but it will be a story) and between Roar, us, Glory and Tards someone will snag a decent name. Confident we’ll look back on this year as the bottom.

There is far too much negativity in the commentary. Too many replays of errors by officials and too much dwelling on what players did wrong.
One commentator, to call the game in a clear positive fashion, and an offsider who only speaks in stoppages and ffs dwell on the positives not he negatives.
Forget the Simon Hill statistics about how many hours it has been since CCM last had 3 goals against Perth on a Tuesday.
Employ a good couple of Pommies as Marquee commentators.

2 Likes

Soy Mac has it right. The league hasn’t been competitive since we began our period of dominance, and this season more than half the clubs have been next-level terrible, particularly in important markets like western Sydney, second Melbourne and Brisbane. Hardly surprising that people have stopped watching when only three clubs are any good.

Miss far post: He should have gone near post.

Miss near post: He should have gone across the face.

Trys to place the ball: He should have gone for power.

Piledriver: He should have placed it.

1 Like

He hit it on the up

1 Like

I guess this is the best spot for this:

No more Premier League channels on Fox.

Was a good ploy and marketing line at the time of losing the premier league and Optus not being clear with what they were doing with the rights. But live sport is key and the club channels just don’t cut it for that.

You’re clearly not quoting Robbie Slater. Far too analytical.

One of the real answers that comes out of his mouth regularly …

Piledriver: “He should’ve taken a bit off that”

Not even joking.

Yes they do. They really need to consider who and what is lifting up the broadcast, and what is dragging it down. Feel free to pile in with opinions, but this would be my list of the makers and breakers:

MAKERS

• Adam Peacock (entertaining and unbiased at the same time)
  • Teo (non-judgmental)
  • Tara Rushton (seems to fit in well with the rest of the team, generally has a lot of fun especially on Shootout, and again seems pretty unbiased)
  • Andy Harper (I hate to admit it, but he’s an asset with his Harperisms and I feel he’s toned down his bias a lot over the last year or so)
  • Ned Zelic (always brilliant value and his ability to take the piss out of almost anything, especially backpasses, is very welcome - could probably tone down his criticism sometimes but usually his insight is very passable)
  • Scott Miller (has brilliant insight and Fox need him as much as possible on air, although he does seem a little bland - would still take him over Bosnich)

POTENTIAL MAKERS

• Bruce Djite - (doesn’t seem too bad in all honesty and hasn’t missed too many beats so far on the panel, but early days yet)
  • Brenton Speed - he’d be a good commentator if he just calmed his farm and tried to not either make a talking point of every piece of play, or pull out some pointless statistic every 3 seconds - currently he really is a breaker for me to the point I simply have to mute the guy, but I think he’d be more capable of taking onboard a potentially calmer approach and being better for it - same cannot be said for most of the other commentators, I’m afraid
  • The strategy of getting an ex-player onto the panel for each game involving their ex-team I think has great potential and most of them do their best to stay unbiased, except for Archie fucking Thompson, who should be banned for life from football analysis, never mind commentary. Can’t even string more than 3 coherent sentences together without stumbling, and I don’t think its stage fright.

Honourable mention to Darren Lewis on Shootout, as well. Him and Ned Zelic are just trouble together :smiley:

BREAKERS

• Pretty much everyone else, which I’m sad to say, includes Simon Hill, who sounds bored as fuck in pretty much every A-League game he’s commentated in the last few years

CUNTS WHO SHOULD BE THROWN IN THE SEA

• Bosnich (can occasionally bring across a point sensibly but that is far too rare - such a shame as I used to think he was a pretty good addition, but then he got far too carried away with his soap box on a routine basis)
  • Nick Meredith (no redeeming features)

Thank you and good night.

2 Likes

Big Sash has always been good when I’ve seen him on there too. I’d like to see him as a more regular panellist.

2 Likes

To add to my above post, Fox would be well-advised to keep checking out the online NPL broadcasts for some commentating talent. Teo still does some games for them, and I’m going to guess that’s exactly how they found him. The guy that did Marconi-Sutherland last weekend (forgot his name) sounded like an absolute beast/madman and maybe with some extra training he could step up to be a good A-League commentator.

I’m sure there are others. I don’t watch enough NPL, sadly. Its got to be better than much of the current order, though.

1 Like

No arguments here, so long as they keep him in the studio for the foreseeable future. His commentary needs some work, and maybe even the big man himself would admit as much.

I reckon going from two commentators to one per game is the way to go. They’ll save money and you won’t get that annoying thing where the actual commentator tries to get the ‘expert’ involved. It also means no Robbie Slater, Meredith, Harnwell and all those boring cunts. I feel like if guys like Teo and Speed were just by themselves they’d just stick to talking about the game. It doesn’t detract from the NPL games with the single commentator. Also I agree with BlueSky that FoxSports should keep their eye out on the NPL games because there are some decent commentators. They’re a bit raw, but maybe a bit of polish and they’d come good.

1 Like

I think you could still have Harper and Zelic for the bigger games of the weekend. The rest of the games could probably survive on one commentator, or if there is a really promising second commentator, they can use them there.

Thanks for reminding me of Nick Meredith. I now have an addition for last night’s post.