UK Politics Thread

Actually no, it’s a fucking terrible read, one that demonstrates a stunningly poor grasp of both facts and UK politics, by someone who fucking hates Corbyn ( and who is a colossal tosspot)

Thought that must have been the case.
What would it take for the Queen to get involved?

Doesn’t the queen just do what parliament want her to do?

The Queen’s not going to do anything. Zero chance of that. She only interferes with foreign democracies like ours.

It’s anyone’s guess what’s going to happen from here but Boris isn’t an idiot. An arrogant, pompous, cruel, self-indulgent dickhead, yes, but not an idiot. A good number of English people, however, are idiots and will vote for him. The Scots simply don’t have the numbers to save England from itself. If it goes to an election I’d probably bet on the Tories.

I had this conversation not long ago.

Royal Assent is a constitutional throwback to when parliament and royalty shared power. Basically, on the advice of Government Ministers, the Queen signs Acts of Parliament into Law. This is done on the premise that the Government Ministers in question have the confidence of Parliament, so Royal Assent recognises the role of parliament as the legitimate ‘will of the people’.

This gives rise to two ‘rules’ which are unwritten but invariably followed.
1 - The Queen always follows the advice of the Ministers
2 - The Ministers will NEVER advise the Queen not to give Assent to a passed Act.

The last time a British Monarch refused to give Assent was 1708 when Queen Anne (wife of bigot favourite ‘King Billy’) refused to sign an Act creating a Scottish Militia. She did this because she’d heard that James Edward Stuart, son of the deposed King James II, was on his way from France to Scotland and she was (rightly) worried that the Scottish Militias would support his cause. (Stuart actually led a Scottish rebellion in 1715 to reclaim his throne, referred to as the first Jacobite rebellion)

Ministers can’t advise the Queen to withhold assent because to do so would be evidence that the Government did not have the confidence of Parliament (An Act that they did not want having been passed demonstrating that) and therefore their advice should not be followed. An awesome and unintentional logic bomb. This is why the no-deal Brexit blocking act had to be taken to the Queen by BJ’s ministers and they had to advise her to give Assent (which I would have paid a fortune to see, watching that lanky cunt Rees-Mogg choking out those words)

1 Like

So what is Boris playing at then? IS he painting himself into a corner or is it strategy to get a stronger hold to force through what he ultimately wants?

I think the problem with Boris Johnson is the same problem as a lot of successful businessman/politicians and it is this.

In any given situation where a decision needs to be made and those people who are making the decision are mostly clueless about the issues then; those tasked with making the decision will randomly fall into differing camps and the case that wins will win for reasons that have little to do with the merits of their case. Usually the side with the biggest bully or the funniest clown prevails. And if the randomly selected decision does not result in the immediate collapse of the business/country then the decision is perceived and promoted as a wise decision and the people making the decision as good leaders. With thousands of businessman/politicians regularly making millions of decisions most clueless leaders will eventually be found out on their second or third big decision even if they lucked in with their first but with such big numbers, every now and then someone who is utterly clueless pulls the equivalent of a royal flush and finds themselves through nothing more than dumb luck in a senior position with a deluded belief in their own decision making ability. They look to the status bestowed upon them as evidence they are good leaders when in actual fact they have no more talent than a pachinko ball which has randomly bumped their way into a slot that will pay out.

1 Like

Currently he’s playing at being Prime Minister.

Boris lied through his teeth to everyone about everything in order to get the PM’s job, he tried to make a no-deal Brexit seem inevitable so he could force parliament to endorse May’s last deal because it was the least worst option. He thought he could block the no no-deal act but 21 Tories rebelled, then he thought he could shame the opposition into agreeing to a General Election, but they said not without the no-deal act being signed off. Now the parliament is prorogued till Oct 14th, effectively making the repeal of the no no-deal Act extremely unlikely since there’s not enough time to hold a general election (needs 25 days minimum) to change the makeup of parliament to repeal the Act before Oct 31st which is when the UK will crash out of the EU without a deal unless BJ asks for and extension as he is now legally obliged to do by the no no-deal act.

If he doesn’t ask for an extension it will create a very very real constitutional crisis and may well result in significant civil unrest. I actually think this is unlikely, he’s more likely to be replaced if he hasnt’ asked for the extension by the 29th.

I can’t really see a way out of it for him, but I may be missing something a lot of is is completely uncharted territory, it’s entirely his own fault, he’s an arrogant asshat who genuinely believes that the rules don’t apply to him.

Those cunts will burn down the entire country just to avoid some taxes, I hope they get strung up on a lamp-post Ceaucescu-style for what they’ve done.

2 Likes

I can’t believe there hasn’t been more outrage over this. Did I miss it? Tbf, to date, most of my interest has revolved around Adam Hills’ beard.

Way too many dumb cunts refuse to believe that they were lied to, that the people who lied to them did so for personal gain, and mostly that England is no longer the great nation it was and actually can’t just decide to go off and successfully reinvent itself as a major world economy, primarily because the greedy bastards behind Brexit completely fucked Britain’s relevance in the modern economic world through an over-reliance on the financial services industry centred on London which will dissolve like Berocca once free trade and freedom of movement ends.

Such a blatant conflict of interest should be a journo’s wet dream. Was it widely reported? And then what, just shut down / fobbed off as “fake news”?

Sad, sad sign ‘o the times if so.

There have been studies proving that expertise in the field of economics is particular is no better (actually slightly worse IIRC) than random chance(+). It’s obviously going to apply to a great deal with any complex system like the ones humans create.

But the intentions of these charlatans is pretty obvious. You’d think any attachment to Eton should by this stage be enough to instantly disqualify anyone from serious consideration by the electorate, but people are happy to let these arseholes’ mates in the media play them like a banjo by distracting them with petty fears and baubles.

(+) I’ll try and dig this up when I have more time.

It’s the Dunning-Kruger effect in full force. Those with the least skill/knowledge/expertise are most likely to overestimate their ability in a given field, see Trump, Donald J. in pretty much every field of human endeavour

This is just English (no idea whether it’s the same in Scotland, Wales and NI) society. In the same way that Australians stupidly elect politicians like Scott Morrison because they play at being everymen, the English truly believe in their class system. Even among otherwise rational people there is a slavish deference to the upper classes.

It’s not really “no no-deal” though, right? It’s just a legal requirement to request an extension if an agreement isn’t reached a month from now. Nothing requires him to be particularly convincing in making the EU believe that this time it will be different.

I can imagine that EU might want to accept regardless, whether it’s out of spite or fiscal expediency or just clinging to the hope of a change in course across the channel.

But I can also imagine that EU could reach a view Boris wouldn’t accept anything which threatens the integrity of the single market less than no-deal is economically harmful, and is sufficiently unlikely to be suitably replaced (either by his own party replacing another leader and finding someone agreeable, or by an election/referendum getting up any time soon and delivering a better outcome), and that they reject the request.

For those unfamiliar with Dunning-Kruger, here is an explanation

Technically you may well be right since Article 50, once invoked, kicks you out whether you have a deal or not, but my understanding is that it requires the PM to request an extension unless they’ve negotiated a deal, so I assumed (and cant readily find any detailed info) it would apply to Jan 31st 2020 as well, basically each deadline without a deal, the PM is legally bound to request an extension, eventually the EU will say no I guess.

Well fuck.!! The Scottish High Court has just declared Johnson’s Prorogueing of parliament illegal based on evidence that he intentionally misled the Queen about the reason for shutting down Parliament. The government is saying the judges are politically biased, the whole thing is completely surreal now.

The shitweasel has been well and truly caught, this is going to get really fucking ugly now

here’s the text of the judgement

Thanks jubal1 for the explanations.

So much more intricate and complicated that I ever thought possible.

Wait, there’s more. A journalist has uncovered 4.5 Billion UKP in stock shorts for early November owned by contributors to leave.eu and BJ’s campaigns. These cunts are literally trying to destroy a country for profit.

There’s some talk that it could be insider trading but it explains why people like Aaron Banks have poured so much money into a hard Brexit.