UK Politics Thread

Things seem to be going badly in the Supreme Court for Johnson right now.
“No rational reason for the PM to shut down parliament…”
Sky News UK is still live, BBC left it strangely.

Genuinely shocked at this:

Boris Johnson’s suspension of parliament unlawful, supreme court rules

So I guess where to from here? Hugely uncharted waters on so many fronts.

I’m pretty surprised too but I can’t see many practical consequences other than parliament returning. My guess is that an extension is the only realistic outcome either way.

Nothing surprising about it, UK democracy is based on the primacy of the parliament, the executive cannot be allowed to curtail the right of parliament to scrutinise the actions of the government.

Theoretically Australia is the same.

Parliament ordered back. Corbyn calling for resignations and elections… absolute carnage.

Yeah I’m just shocked they found it justiciable given that the England and Wales court didn’t.

The original ruling didn’t take a constitutional view., I don’t think.

Brexit nazis are totally losing their shit, amazing how they demand parliamentary primacy…until it results in an outcome they don’t like.

More chaos overnight:

Boris Johnson confirms he will seek Brexit delay, says Brussels

Didn’t he send a letter but refused to sign it? He really is an immense bell end

Yep, and he sent a cover letter saying that he didn’t agree with the letter but was required to send it.

The Freakonomics radio podcast has a great episode on David Cameron and his involvement in Brexit. It’s essentially a relatively long and detailed interview with him about his role, opinions of the EU (and associated policies), where he thinks he went wrong in terms of taking it to a referendum (plus more). A good listen.

I guess UK election stuff belongs here.

The (usually accurate) exit poll results are very, very ugly for Labour:

How they’ve stuck with Corbyn for so long truly amazes me

Exit polls over here don’t look good.

Fuck this country is stupid…

They’re as dumb as us. Thumping win for the Tories.

Scottish independence seems on (SNP 55 of 59) seats on a pro-independence platform - strong mandate. As someone with a British passport via Scottish heritage I’m not unhappy with all this.

Scotland is heading (already headed really) in a totally different political direction to England… Independence has to happen you’d think.

Its astonishing that Labour stuck with Corbyn - if they had put a slightly less left leaning candidate up they’d have had a much better chance to get a hung parliament or even win.

Unfortunately i know a lot of people back home who viewed it as a choice between aids and cancer…

I think British Labor has the same problem as the Australian Greens. There is such a gap between the political views of the electorate and the Party membership that any policy position that one group supports will piss off the other. That and the general lack of confidence in the party’s ability to govern.

Will be interesting to see a map of the results when it comes out.

Reckon the ‘red wall’ of the Midlands has been knocked down by the Tories.

Voted for Labour, but was not convinced at all…

There was a tweet from one of the the London-based Labour members - she said during door knocks the feeling was “I’m terrified of Boris Johnson, but I’m even more terrified of Jeremy Corbyn”.