W-League 2020/21 Fixtures

More goals than her brother will score at that stadium all season.

3 Likes

Great win that.

Ibini really has stepped up a lot in the last season or so. Always had the potential and finally looks like reaching it- she’s even managing to play a full 90 minutes which is great to see.

Quality goal tp put Sydney ahead

Lasted 10 mins and out, I stand by previous comments about the quality of the league these days, perfectly highlighted by Jada kicking the ball out when she could’ve just picked it up. Atrocious.

One has to wonder what the facilities and pathways are like for female players at the moment. I suspect they need a hell of a lot of work if Australian clubs are to keep churning out quality players for the Matildas. As it is right now, the most talented youngsters are best served getting the first plane to Europe or the U.S. to continue their football development.

Yep, the quality was trash. The handball at the end another perfect example.

It’s great these young players are getting a go, but the quality just isn’t there, and not a lot to show it will improve either.

no-one watches women play football for the quality though right?

It’s just fun to watch imo, you never really know what’s going to happen next etc. i like the lack of quality because it leads to more unpredictable outcomes.

Taylor Ray’s equaliser was quite tidy, as well.

Just a reminder. This is not the A-League thread :wink:

it’s like the A-League on steroids when you think about it in that sense

2 Likes

you don’t watch for the exact same reason people use when it comes to the a-league?

Haha. In all seriousness the A-League has improved over the years, the W-League has gone massively backwards.

There was a time I found the women’s game more watchable, granted it may have been around the RoT, but the fact it’s that little bit slower meant there was more possession and flow compared to the somewhat helter skelter, scrappier nature of the HAL.

These days they can barely control the ball or make a 5 yard pass. Not being chauvinistic, the decrease in quality has been steady year on year for a while now.

I agree 100%. The Stajic era was great to watch.

This year may be the biggest drop, which is fair enough given the lack of imports and Matilda’s which can’t be helped. But the trend started a while ago and it seems like so many teenagers have been given a shot simply because they’re fit and fast, but their basic skills are woefully lacking.

Maybe we were spoiled under Staj. Maybe it’s unfair to expect more from semi-pro’s, but at this rate the Matilda’s will also be utter trash in about 5 years.

Yeah, you’re talking about an era where a lot of our Matildas were either staying in the W-League, or mixing the NWSL/WNSL/whatever it’s really called with the W-League. We also had European clubs who were asleep at the wheel and not bothering too much with scooping up world-class players from the other side of the world. Now that said European clubs are taking women’s football seriously, it’s a huge advantage for female players to go to Europe, whether it be for financial reasons, higher-quality football, and even just full-time training. They’re going to reap the benefits they’ve long deserved.

We don’t have the money going around the game here to compete with that in men’s football, never mind the women. The W-League can really only become a nursery for overseas leagues for this reason alone. Hopefully the clubs can make some money off selling young talent abroad.

2-0 win for the Sydney FC women’s team tonight in the derby. Didn’t get to see the game, but good to see them once again show the other side of town who’s boss.

2-0 was extremely flattering for WS. We should have belted them.

Why did I still think that SFC A-League Members could get free entry to watch the SFC W-League games? We used to have that once upon a time, right?

We used to, but I wonder if the covid rules have stopped that