W-League 2020/21 Fixtures

Congrats to the almighty Teresa Polias for being selected in the PFA W-League team of the season. Also congrats to Clare Wheeler and Cortnee Vine making the bench.

Though how the hell Melbourne Victory had 5 players selected in the team of the season and Sydney only one boggles the mind. Sydney won more games, scored more goals, conceded less goals, how was it judged that Melbourne had so many players that did better than players in that squad?

2 Likes

I suppose the Lizard Men are male chauvinists.

Seems a bit of a rip-off.

2 Likes

Unless they can get some huge sponsorships, subsidize travel and be more accepting of McDonalds for match officials, I can’t see many teams wanting to be involved in this.

Maybe they wanted to give them a pep up with the men’s team being so crap?

It’s because their women’s team have been leading the way, they lost 6-0 six weeks before their men did.

1 Like

The same has happened at time with the men’s team. Does it suggest we have a much better coach and and team ethic? Fantastic, worthy recognition for the great Teresa Polias and also Clare Wheeler and Cortnee Vine.

Vine has been the POTY, yet only in the bench?

Voted on by players, AFAIK. A lot of them get voted for on reputation I reckon, over the likes of Tobin, Vine, Green and our younger squad.

Talk also of W-League expansion

2 Likes

"And with expansion comes more games – more home and away matches. But there’s also a want to get towards [a full] home and away [season] as well – it’ll come down to investment and timing.

That’s great news

1 Like

Hopefully the next AL TV deal brings us back to where we were, but instead of bringing the men’s cap all the way back up the PFA accepts cross-subsidising the women’s comp from the men’s one a bit more.

Not gonna happen. The men’s league is a stronger marketing force and can generate more money. Until it’s stable and making decent profits, W-league will take a back seat.

Women taking a back seat waiting forever for men to sort their shit out sounds about right.

1 Like

Turning this into gender is just stupid. It’s commercial/popular interest in Australia as a whole. Without the men’s’ teams, the women’s teams wouldn’t exist…

1 Like

That Canberra United men’s team go alright.

the one owned by the ACT Football Federation?

With the spot light in this country being on a home Women’s World Cup in two years time, the men’s game will temporarily be secondary to the women’s, particularly when it comes to lobbying for additional infrastructure.

The government has already withdrawn huge amounts of promised cash from the bid haven’t they?

The league would have been stable and profitable with the last TV deal five years ago if the league/owners had the bargianing power to leave the cap rougly where it was, but it isn’t entirely up to them. The players do have a fair amount of bargaining power too, and it really comes down to what they do with it.

PFA putting all of their bargaining chips towards men’s wages is certainly one option, but the four years of pre-COVID experience with the last TV deal suggests it would do nothing to grow the league or the game. And a lot has changed in the meantime, with womens sport in general, the extent of PFA’s involvement in womens sport specifically (particularly, spinning up a womens department last year) and significantly the options up to and after the WWC, so I could see it taking a different direction to last time.

In terms of bang-for-buck I just see way more opportunity on the womens side, with the kind of money which would achieve fuck all for the mens comp being game-changing on the womens side. It would cost just as much to cover all flights and accomodation for a 12-team home-and-away W-League season as it would to increase the A-League salary cap by just $100k; to me that’s a no-brainer.

2 Likes

Female academy when the CoE opens next year! :blue_heart:♀

4 Likes