Week 15 - 2020-21 Discussion

Central Coast Mariners doing well is a fantastic thing for the A-League. Alen Stajcic leading the club into positive things and positive results is a great story, a club and a coach proving every negative voice wrong.

It’s great to see!

2 Likes

Adelaide really dropped their bundle towards the end there. Who’d have thought that a team with Veart as the head coach and Mauk as captain were going to melt under pressure? Fuck 'em.

2 Likes

Other teams who rely so heavily on young players go through the same thing.

You can’t win anything, etc.

Mariners deserved the win, too harsh to observe they looked a lot more dangerous once George came on though? Didn’t cover himself in glory admiring Bozanic’s strike.

Other random observations tonight:

• Atkinson is just about the most improved player in the comp, adds a lot to City’s go forward, Grant-esque
  • Clisby has finally learnt how to cross
  • Stensness adds huge balance to that CCM midfield, especially in grinding games like this against the stronger sides, they need him next to Bozanic
  • Josh Nisbet is quite possibly the love child of Peter Beardsley
2 Likes

Fabulous football game and good luck to Staj and his merry band. He has gotten them playing such confident slick, one-touch football in transition and with so much self belief. I mean what was Tongyik doing playing up top in the last few minutes? And Staj has turned rejected players like Tongyik, Nisbet, Nigro and Clisby into proper footballers.

In Marco Ureña CCM have gotten themselves one of the best ball playing foreigners to grace the A League. And his movement is excellent as is his effort in chasing down defenders all day long. Great combinations with Matty tonight. If Bouman had been more awake and focused they could have had more goals and earlier.

1 Like

Agree Bouman was poor tonight, they could have been much more comfortable if he produced.

On the foreigners point though, it’s interesting City have firmed as favourites and they’ve really only got Noone pulling his weight as one of the five. Berenguer and Luna have had patches, Reis yet to settle after his injuries, and Tsubaki barely sighted. If they fail to win anything this year then inefficient use of the foreign spots will be why.

Nailed it Pietro.

One error, Nisbett was not rejected player he has been brought on from youth after coming originally from Qld. Think it is his third season with the Club. I stand to be corrected by those who may know more of his origins.

I was talking to a parent of a player at an NPL 2 game a couple of weeks ago who stated Nizz played with his son in U13 reps and the coach said he would never make it as he was too small. Apparently this guys son and Nizz are the only two from the team still playing.

A great talent.

Ben Cahn, who is now back coaching NPL in Brisbane brought home down from QLD a few years ago when he was academy coach.

Absolutely outstanding coach who did a brilliant with a thin squad but was ousted by Okon and Jolic due to jealousy and insecurity.

Tis great to see CCM kicking it again.

Just watched the highlights from last night’s games, I assume it’s mentioned further up, but Diamante’s ball in the lead up to the Evil Albanian’s goal …

Tongyik has to be a shout for most improved player this season. Gauci looks like a top prospect as well, cracking game last night.

2 Likes

I think Tongyik is excellent. He’s been so good this year.

1 Like

Good grief, what was that defending

2 CB’s playing their first game together, Langkamp switched off because he expected Lachman to deal with it.

Perth a bit cheeky playing a back 4, looked a 3/5 on paper (and was announced as such) as Geria can play inside as a CB, but Ingham sure as shit isn’t playing RWB.

VAR broken again?

100% a penalty

If Guarotxena running into Reis warranted 20 replays yesterday then that one needed another look also.

1 Like

Macarthur were very good without the ball, but geez Perth were also hot trash with it. No chance they’ll play that shit again on Wednesday, is there…

Nor will they be so flippant defensively like they were with that first goal. It wasn’t just the CBs screwing up, but their left-back gave FAR too much space to the guy at the back post to head it into Derbyshire.

Just watching the mini mat h this morning, I really have no idea how Macarthur only put two past Glory. They created so many chances.

Really struggling with Macarthur’s games this season, find them so boring to watch.

2 Likes