Week 9 - 2020/21 Discussion

Wait, what? Mauk was already falling as Tongyik pulled his boot back. If that’s a penalty, maybe I should just run into every defender in the penalty box and fall over. Penalty every time, right?

2 Likes

Yeah, that one was a bit more 50/50, but I would’ve thought that you need to have clear evidence to overturn a non-decision in the first place. I just don’t see it. Central Coast have been FM’d really badly tonight, right up to Delianov just standing there and letting the ball bounce off his face in stoppage time. If I were Central Coast, I’d just Alt+F4 and try again.

1 Like

I have never seen such incompetent biased referring in any football code since Darcy Lawler sent off Brian Carlson at Bookvale back in 1962.

1 Like

Why are all games the Mariners are in this season, completely batshit insane?

Hopefully they’re trying to entice a buyer.

Something to seriously consider.
Imagine last night’s game with no VAR.
A couple of contentious penalty calls, Mariners’ fans feel hard done by, but no more than in many other games. Big deal.
Surely this has to be another nail in the coffin on this blot on our game.
VAR must go.

2 Likes

I was against VAR before it came in, because I knew there are limitations to the technology, particularly because the task at hand remains so obviously interpretive.

However I had no idea it would be so fucking horrible and would actually lower my enjoyment of football in general.

The worst things about it are that its adoption has been accompanied by some horrible ideas around the handball rule, that they’ve completely overreached the technology’s capability when trying to deal with tight offsides and that they’ve forgotten that you’re actually allowed to touch other people in football - just not to foul them.

I’m glad the family is a binge watch run of Taskmaster meaning we didn’t watch last night.

2 Likes

VAR isn’t the issue, the application of it is where the problem lies.

I read the comment above about it being the people operating it and not the VAR that is to blame and I find it a strange comment. I have seen this sentiment posted many times.

We have had VAR for a few years now, and if a video system that is designed to minimise human error is still so reliant on human judgement, then it has to go.

It is not improving the officiating of the game with the exception of offsides and whether the ball has crossed the line.

2 Likes

Even with offsides it is disrupting the natural rhythm of the game with the delayed assistants flags and there is better technology, even if more expensive, for goal line decisions.

1 Like

I think the game is improved by being able to rule out clear offsides and rule back in goals that were wrongly flagged offside. Also good to be able to catch a violent act that the referee missed or a handball in saving or scoring a goal. But all that said they’ve been getting too many wrong and it’s painful to watch every time.

FWIW I agree with Moller on last night’s ones - first was soft but a legitimate call by the ref that VAR had no business overturning. Second was probably not a foul and the ref should have been called over for a look. On the third…actually I’m rethinking this now. It’s not handball if it bounces up from an attempt to control the ball, but if you throw your whole body at the ball to stop a goal bound shot do you still get this leeway?

VAR has to really be improving the accuracy of key decisions like offsides and penalty decisions as a first priority. The problem is that referees here are STILL getting it wrong after both the VAR official and sometimes the main referee have seen a replay of it. That’s completely unacceptable. It’s the absolute baseline requirement for having VAR in the first place. Football wanted to reduce the amount of horrible decisions, but we’re still having the same conversation four years later. People who game the rules like Mauk did for the first penalty in particular, are meant to be found out and not given what they’re looking for.

On top of that, VAR is not delivering what I believe is another high priority - that of making decisions quicker and more seamlessly to minimise the disruption of play. Why is it still taking minutes to mull over decisions that are so borderline you might as well just stick with whatever the original decision is? The message has to be crystal clear to those in charge of the game - set a time limit in for a VAR review, or consign VAR to history.

3 Likes

I should have clarified. It is neither having VAR or the people who operate it but its the ambiguity of the rules they are looking to enforce.

What is the actual definition of the offside rule? Armpits? Daylight etc.
Handballs in the box? What’s unnatural shape?

If the rules are more clear cut the game will flow more and the disruption of the VAR will be minimised.

the only alternative is to have a coaches challenge - one a game that a team can appeal within 10 seconds of an incident (whether the game has stopped or not)if they believe the officials have missed foul play
If the challenge is correct, they retain (like cricket) if not then tough luck.

The third goal last night would never have happened as not one Adelaide player thought anything of the CCM getting the free kick

1 Like

A lot of the issues mentioned here would be clarified if IFAB allowed the VAR officials reasoning behind their decision to be broadcast.
Cricket, Rugby Union & Rugby League all use this process. While some decisions may still be “wrong”, the transparency around the decision making process at least helps the spectator to understand how the official reached their decision.

2 Likes

I did because imo the video ref already killed NRL and made it unwatchable.

It would be great if they could do it live. I remember Fox once did it after a game and even that was a considerable improvement. Not sure why they wouldn’t do it again. Maybe FIFA got shitty about it.

LOL at Archie telling this story about Milligan playing some great ball … but forgetting any other detail about it.

Gallop Derby?

The Superfluous Derby.