2023-24 SFCU Player of the Season (voting thread)

No-one particularly close tbh.

I have been wondering if we should supplement the game-by-game votes with an end-of-season vote, and give them equal weighting or something. Would give more of a chance to quieter achievers who might have finished just outside the points in several matches, or those who turned up in the big moments.

But I dunno if I want to change the voting system after so many years, and also I like the fact that the current system isn’t really affected by recency bias.

Thoughts? And more top 5 predictions?

I say just keep it as it is, like you say it has been so many years, it’s nice to see something consistent.

Trying to recall who I mainly voted for, probably something like:

Lolley
Caceres
Bratten
Mak
JGR or JCP…leaning to JGR.

2 Likes

Lolley
Mak
Brattan
Caceras
JCP

1 Like

Yeah, keep it as it is… gives the immediate reaction importance.

Also, I’ve been shit voting this year (think i did every game the year before). Will do better next year.

1 Like

Lolley
Caceres
JCP
Matthews
JGR

1 Like

Yeah I agree with keeping it in the current format.

With an end of season vote, I feel recency bias and maybe other issues like sentimentality would be bigger drawbacks than the positives. Plus the Club Member vote has that covered.

4 Likes

The only way I would change it, would be to rent out a building that would allow SFCU patrons the chance to storm the final announcement in an effort to stop the vote!

When will the final results be revealed Rowdy? Need to mark my calendar.

1 Like

There is more chance of an awards night for this than the cheapskate APL having one for the league.

2 Likes

I’ll do the tallying up from last weekend’s game on Tuesday, then start the process of getting everything together for the big reveal.

So hopefully the following Tuesday

2 Likes

Is there an overpriced red carpet shindig that all our wives can get glammed up for?

1 Like

You sexist pig!

APL cancelled it.

Il predict

Lolley
Caceres
Brattan
JGR
Mak

1 Like

Result for the final match of the season: Luke Brattan got his second in a row, picking up 36 votes from the 24 voters. It was close behind him, with 2nd-4th earning 28, 26 and 24 votes respectively. It’s Bratts’ 13th MOTM of his 119-game Sydney FC career.

Twenty-five players appeared in a competitive fixture for Sydney this season, and just under half of them picked up an MOTM:

11 - Joe Lolley*
4 - Anthony Cáceres, Luke Brattan, Hayden Matthews*
3 - Jordan Courtney-Perkins
2 - Gabriel Lacerda, Andrew Redmayne, Jake Girdwood-Reich
1 - Max Burgess, Fábio Gomes, Róbert Mak, Jaiden Kucharski

* one shared

Thanks to everyone who has voted!

6 Likes

I need to take this back. When I was looking over the predictions, I had the standings wrong in my head.

Trying not to give too much away, here are the Mastermind-style results for the posted predictions (red = correct position; white = in top 5, but wrong position; black = not in top 5), from best to worst. The tiebreaker (shown in parentheses) is the sum of differences between predicted and actual standings.

:red_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: (6)
:red_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: (7)
:red_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: (8)
:red_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: (6)
:red_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: (8)
:red_circle: :white_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle: (16)
:red_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle: (27)

So most people got at least 4 of the top 5 in their list, though generally not in the right order. One player picked at least a few times didn’t even finish in the top 10.

1 Like

I had forgotten how much I liked that mastermind game…

1 Like

Working on the results with the aim of having them ready for next Tuesday :eyes:

Before we get to that, as always I have to thank everyone for voting this year. We had a total of 945 votes cast across 35 competitive matches, an average of exactly 27 per match (a bit down on last season :frowning: ).

There were 75 unique voters, all of whom get at least one entry into our major prize draw. There were seven madmen legends who submitted votes for every single match, five of whom are continuing this streak from last season… and beyond.

Here is the roll of honour for 2023–24; spot your name* to find out how many prize draw entries you have earned:

35/35 matches@garuna (6th consecutive season voting in every match!!!), @scottohara (5th!), @Shoushi (5th!), @Trash (2nd), @Trisbam (2nd), @Charlie_Blackman, @Guy_Incognito
32 – Davidceltic77, dryan, leftfoot007, Utility
31 – bazm, Hybrid
30 – CN001, CountArach
29 – Clovis
26 – littlejib
20 – testament
19 – Sean (@Sky_Blue_Stories [SBS] )
18 – daveee, mcflynnsboot
17 – Arriba_SFC
15 – Jubal1, phoiuy
14 – Simo
13 – b0b_444, Bay19
12 – AlternativePM, bjd
11 – Aquacadet, bernieibini12345, Higdawg, MellyMoo, MrRooney, Jon (SBS), Michelle (SBS)
10 – Nath91
9 – Rory Bunk
8 – Nic (SBS), Sydney Is Sky Blue
7 – Factor, Watto007
6 – pietro, Julian (SBS)
5 – Mr2046, RustedBlue
4 – Hatty, Modest_Hatchback_Owner, Paulska, RedKat
3 – Blue Sky, eddie, little boy blue, rhysmcfc, rich27, Ruprecht, veridis
2 – andy91, Bruno#9, Conjugate1, frankieboy, sydneyfc_FTT, timbob
1 – buggs, calum, dfutbolheritager, Eric Hitchmoe, Greg, Kierstanfaulks, lildutchguy, MATILDA, mr305, Nickolas22, Seb z, SGD2000

* sometimes this won’t match your current forum name because of the way the voting system works; apologies if this has happened to you

Submit your complaints to the people above if you aren’t happy with the results.

14 Likes

Amazing effort Rowdy and that 35/35 club. Thought I voted way more than 4- would have guessed around 10-12 so that is a dire effort from me!

1 Like

Kidding. :slight_smile: Thanks again for doing this.

2 Likes