February Football Fixture Frenzy Fread

Yeah, but fuck 'em, ya know?

As Paulska pointed out, if you’re saying the Gong doesn’t have the population, how do you explain the Mariners and Jets’ inclusion in the league?

The problem is that you’re also ignoring competition from other professional sports. Melbourne and Sydney have about 20-30 professional teams in the AFL, Basketball, NRL and Cricket.

Wollongong doesn’t really have anything does it?

Illawarra Hawks NBL team is pretty popular.

The Dragons play half their home games there, I believe, and still get reasonable crowds.

I think that atmosphere is probably more important than just numbers.
10,000 keen fans in a 12,000 seat stadium in Canberra would be a much better look than 25,000 fans in an 80,000 seat stadium.
The atmosphere would transfer to tv and keep both the broadcasters and the sponsors happy.
Time to think a little laterally.
If season tickets then sold out they would also become more desirable.
Just tossing extra teams into big population centres and calling them silly names does not give the side a heart (sorry no pun intended) nor a reason to get involved.
WSW had a ready made fan base (fibros against silver tails). Macarthur has an area but no identity. Western United like Melbourne Heart has neither.

2 Likes

Melbourne Heart/City still confounds me. Is there one thing differentiating that club from Victory?

No South. No APL.

Arguably City are less cuntish? That’s the only difference I can think of

I feel like their fan bases are quite different. City really seems to be going for a more family and younger demographic.

Given that fans play a pretty crucial role in determining the club atmosphere, I’d say the OSM vs City Terrace cultural divide also plays a role.

:rofl: Keep telling yourself that.

2.5x number of ticket sales is always better. Aleague clubs would kill for an average 25k attendance. South Sydney Rabbitohs do those kind of numbers they’re probably bigger draw than the whole Aleague combined?

He’s talking about atmosphere.

I’ve said it a few times but the FFA cup game I went to in Queanbeyan was the best football atmosphere I’ve been to in years.

The biggest mistake the WSW will ever make is supporting tearing down that sweet 22 thou stadium for that 35 thou cavern.I

Amazing away support for this one……

Thursday nights in Gosford are a big draw.

Simon Hill just called this game tepid…

Tommy oar :open_mouth:

Probably goal of the season so far.

Hearing the Bulls staff asking their midfield to drop as they go 2 up is all I need to hear. Off to watch something else. Better things to do than watch those dullards kill an hour of my limited time on earth.

nah the mariners one just then beat it.