Impact of coronavirus on Sydney FC thread

Now that state borders are set to be closed, I see no practical way this season can continue at all.

given the small amount of time remaining in the A-League, we will almost surely continue and just play it out over the next 2 weeks or so.

we get an exemption to do so and for teams to travel interstate if needed.

given AFL and NRL are closer to the start of their campaigns, will be more likely they will suspend the comps for a few weeks.

The AFLW season has been wound up and no premier will be declared.

Any chance we might be able to see the entire AFL competition permanently wound up and closed down forever? That would really lift the spirits of us all in this trying time.

8 Likes

Also worth noting AFLs decision to suspend shows how screwed they know they are with no ticket receipts. they would rather suspend and hope to play later with fans attending than behind closed doors for any longer. I think NRL may be the same, probably more screwed because membership culture less common in Sydney and they’d rely more on game to game ticket purchases.

We about to be crowned premiers

And Alfie no golden boot

So looks like we are going to be in the same position as Liverpool. Interesting to see what happens. All of those dropped points in the derbies are going to come and bite us maybe.

Surely with 80% of the season completed they have to make us premiers.

The only good thing is the Comp has just about finished so we wont be as screwed as the NRL and AFL who are just starting

No AFL for the next two months. That should make ABC Breakfast News watchable for the time being.

3 Likes

Someone mentioned it earlier.
5 a side gala day in the park.

If the WUN-PER game goes ahead tomorrow and Perth don’t win, they’re out of contention.

That only leaves WEL or MCY that could mathematically beat us.

I wonder if they should prioritise games for us, Welly and Melbourne to try and wrap up the plate ASAP.

also Melb City play Newcastle tomorrow.

Perth are almost 0% chance anyway.

Even if we lost all next 6, City would need to win 3/4, Wellington would need to win 4/6.

Opta had us at 99.9% chance to win league before last round, may be slightly lower now.

1 Like

If the ended it here and gave us the trophy theres far less repercussions. Would be only who gets second but I imagine City get the ACL spot over Nux. Ladder is bit of a mess with 20/21/22 games played but when you convert the points to a points/game you get the same ladder

1. Sydney FC 2.4
  2. Melbourne City 1.82
  3. Wellington Phoenix 1.8
  4. Brisbane Roar 1.6
  5. Perth Glory 1.55
  6. Western United 1.35
  7. Adelaide United 1.29
  8. Western Sydney Wanderers 1.24
  9. Newcastle Jets 1
  10. Melbourne Victory 0.95
  11. Central Coast Mariners 0.59
1 Like

I would guess there will be a vote amongst the clubs to award us the plate or not if it comes down to calling games off again.

What a time to be alive…

Play the rest of the season on FIFA.

FFA are carrying on with the A-League for some reason.

dollarydoos are more important than healthydoos.

1 Like

I admire your optimism but I can’t see the league continuing. We can’t squeeze all the games in 2 weeks, Wellington/Melbourne still have another week in quarantine. Then have something like 6 games to play, meanwhile Covid-19 cases are rising by quite a lot each day. Athletes aren’t above the safety of the country. Either the government will pull the plug or a player will get Covid-19 within the next 2 weeks.

As for us being crowned Premiers. I hope they still give it to us, but it is a very grey area.

2 Likes

I can’t figure out how to turn off the notifictions for my TripIt app. As a consequence it has begun sending me reminders for my (cancelled) plane trip to London this afternoon. No doubt over the next seven weeks it will continue to remind me of my impending train journeys to Ghent, Amsterdam, Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg, Berlin and Prague. It also reminded me last week of the (postponed) Tim Minchin concert and, no doubt, will continue to remind me that I had tickets to;

Hamilton - London Production
Leopoldstadt - London Production
England v Italy - Wembley
Four Seasons - Dutch National Ballet - Amsterdam
Lyon v Marseille - Groupama Stadium

But I am a public servant who does not have to worry about my next pay cheque and currently has eight weeks long service (social distancing) leave and given what is happening around the world complaining about a ruined holiday feels like complaining about a paper cut in a cancer ward.

Oh, yeah, and I think the FFA has to cancel the season. And they have to do it today. And I don’t think we should be awarded the silverware. There are specified rules for awarding the Premiership and Championship to a club and we have not yet met those requirements and, if the season is cancelled, no one will be able to meet those requirements.

1 Like

I agree that we need to stop now, but why would you cancel the season rather than suspending it indefinitely? Why render 6 months worth of work by the players obsolete and then at some point in the future start a new season as though these past months had never happened?
Given the HAL doesn’t start until October there is plenty of time to leave it suspended, and send players home, without cancelling completely.

4 Likes

They could postpone the season after tonight’s matches - the four teams have already travelled so altering those games would be pointless - with an option to either reschedule or cancel at a later date. But I suspect that we will not be back to normal by October and that there are question marks over next year’s season too.