Impact of coronavirus on Sydney FC thread

Player contracts expire end of June though.

Surely as a player, it would be a dick move to go to different clubs if the season is postponed. Surely youā€™d wait it out with a rolling contract until the season officially ends and then move around.

Unless youā€™ve signed a contract elsewhere?

There would be a bunch of players who have already agreed contracts with other clubs.

It happens anyway mid-season. With some clubs, the 2nd half of the season line ups are almost unrecogniseable from the 1st.

there are only few people talking sense about the comp continuing on behind closed doors or just being suspended for a while.

as usual and what i see online so much, people are very quick to jump to hysteria.

this whole flatten the curve thing makes sense, and the vast majority of people social distancing is fine - does a few hundred people involved in keeping the a league games running really make a difference?

there are still tens of thousands of people catching trains each day. surely that is 10x worse?

one fine idea imo is to make the next pre season start with playing out these remaining fixtures. yes not perfect, but the league table is practically done anyway and from here the games are formalities if there is no finals anyway.

Um, yes. If you say the few hundred people involved in the A-League donā€™t matter then why not let any group of a few hundred people keep doing their thing? Oh thatā€™s right, because 1% of the population will end up dead.

1 Like

um, no. There are obviously exceptions, such as people travelling for funerals, schools, getting groceries. there are always going to be exceptions. are you saying no one should travel in any circumstance, because then 1 person travelling overseas means that a million people can travel? it will make little difference imo and this is demonstrated by no single scientist saying we should put a stop to absolutely everything.

even ā€œflatten the curveā€ acknowledges many of us are going to get corona anyway at some point, the point is to just slow it down. if getting it was a kiss of death, i would agree with you, but isnt. point is to slow the rate of people getting it.

there also ARE thousands of people doing their thing already, such as my example of catching the train each day - should that be shut down and should we plunge into chaos?

1 Like

But the A-League is so far from important to the vast majority of the population that if you were to make an exception for it you would also have to make an exception for the NRL, AFL, rugby, and so on.

And yes people should not be catching trains each day by the thousands. Once the virus properly hits the amount of people out and about will be down by 98% like it is in Europe, not the 60-70% weā€™ve seen here. The tragedy is that if we cut straight to a 98% reduction in contact a week or more ago, when the trajectory became obvious and we had dozens of other countries to learn from, we would have saved (tens of) thousands of lives.

2 Likes

Need to cut it now completely. Shutdown all non-essential business and make sure everyone is working from home. The economy will eventually recoverā€¦

Sorry for the lazy question (I could probably find this out myself if I bothered to look)ā€¦ can you summarise what those requirements are?

Or are you simply referring to the normal A-League rules that deem the winner to be the team with the most points at the end of the normal season? (and your point being that if we cancel, there is no ā€œend of the normal seasonā€?)

Self interest aside, a season with both MV and Wests missing the finals deserves to be played out to its full extent. Self interest aside, of course.

2 Likes

I see what you did thereā€¦ i read it but in Dave McCormacks voice

1 Like

Food for thought. Is completely shutting everything down the answer? Construction workers on site amongst many occupations cannot work from home. Livelihoods are important here, not so much if the HAL, NRL or AFL should can a season.

Or could it lead to a surge and increase in other aspects and trigger mental health related consequences, (substance abuse amongst other things I wont name due to pressure/stress etc.)? Considering the current numbers as the media state are ~1650 confirmed cases (or 0.0065% of the population which is far less than any influenza break out) - Iā€™m satisfied with how things are being handled. Yes, there will always be conflicting opinions, decisions and confusion however this isnā€™t something that anyone can train or plan for and pulling the trigger too soon could still have detrimental health effects elsewhere.

Yes. They have families and friends, and some of those people may be at added risk of serious illness or death if they get COVID-19. I donā€™t think thatā€™s something we want to see happen, if we have a conscience.

First 100,000 known cases took 3 months
second 100,000 known cases took 12 days
third 100,000 known cases took 3 days

draw your own conclusions

(figures taken from Adam Gilchristā€™s instagram, and as well as being a great keeper/batsman he is also a leading expert on pandemics)

3 Likes

How does COVID differ from any other year with the notorious influenza spread each winter killing vulnerable people? I understand that this is amplified and an important issue for many valid reasons, but I ask this question to give you some perspective to not solely focus on one thing because itā€™s at the forefront of our lives.

1 Like

The double whammy of mass unemployment and shutting down just about every means of escape and recreation that people have is scary and underrated.

Hopefully someone somewhere is actually factoring in that extended periods insecurity and isolation will breed stress and anxiety and depression, and will start spilling over into alcohol and substance abuse, self-harm, domestic violence, crime, public violence, civil unrest.

2 Likes

These are probably things you shouldnā€™t be getting the answers from sfcu.

3 times more infectious than the flu and patients that end up in hospital have symptoms like chronic pneumonia.

1 Like