Macarthur FC Thread

Fluminense colours, one of the great football shirts.
Can only imagine what horror they’d come up.

First community forum announced for late Feb. As I live in the area and have a soft spot for this new team already I will be going along.

I’ll be interested to see what numbers they get.

SPLITTER!

One of the girls I work with was saying that her husband and some mates were interested in going along. They’re not really in to football, apart from taking their kids to play on the weekend. I’d say they’re occasional socceroos supporters (world cup) but don’t support any clubs at any level.

I guess its a good thing to have potential fans like that, but they might get a bit turned off by the over excited ultra wannabes that tend to turn up to things like this.

To be honest, Macarthur isn’t really a region brimming with the wannabe football hooligan demographic - much more VB Family Hill types…

The fact that there has not even been a whiff of a fan group start yet is a little indicator that the team support will be much more ‘Mariners’ than ‘Wanderers’

Yeah, you’re probably right.

In fact, this Macarhur team will be a great case study for FFA marketing types… do you continue to try and sell to the ‘football family’ or do you go off shore fishing and look to convert the non-footballing sport fan into a football fan. I have said before that the Macarhur area has a very big football playing community but most of those wear West Tigers jackets to the games.

So while they are registered football family people, they are not typical ‘Euro-snob’ style football supporter types who the FFA have seemingly thought to rely on. To plus side to having non Euro snob types is that they don’t compare the A-League some impossible standard like ‘football types’ do.

Yeah, you’d have to think that’s an advantage. If you’re not having people turn up and think “this is shit, the EPL is way better” then you’re off to a good start. It will be interesting to see how the club market themselves to the community. FFA marketing is useless, they only seem to market existing A League fans.

While that might be a real shame to those of us who are already supporting teams in this league, it does provide a real point of difference for those who are maybe interested in Wests but are turned off by the RBB.

1 Like

Yeah, I know some Wests fans that stopped going to games and don’t really support them that much any more because of the RBB and their antics. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them jump ship. They have young families and some of them live roughly halfway between Para and Campbelltown.

All good decisions get made on the Bus to Bowral.

2 Likes

This reference makes me so happy

So should the expansion side that actually should have gone for United still go for it?

call themselves South Western United and wear black and green

2 Likes

Had their first fan forum last night. Also have their own name and colours survey: Enter for your chance to win a MSWU Playing Strip

To be honest, based on their social media presence, they already seem so far ahead of Western United.

I completed the survey. I really want them to have South West in their name, just to annoy WSW.

Seems a little redundant to complete a survey for a new team to annoy a nothing team like WSW.

Having grown up in the area I really hope they just go with Macarthur. I think falling for the idea of basing team names on their direction on the compass to a postcode 60km away in a national competition is ridiculous. I really really hope they resist the temptation of going with black and white as a lot of people on social media are calling for all based on the idea of the Magpies being from the area for a whole 20 years of their 100+years existence. The areas 'traditional colours have always been yellow and blue (not that I am advocating for that either)