Macarthur FC Thread

I dont wanna sound like a prick but I don’t think it should be an Aboriginal name.

was thinking the same. Having an aboriginal name will mean it’ll be less likely people identify with the club imo . I’m all for acknowledging the original owners of the land etc. but it just stinks as a marketing gambit. They should name the stadium or a stand after Aboriginals but not the team.

Plus, how many people supporting the team will have full Australian ancestry? Would expect most would be immigrants

2 Likes

I would go for Sporting Dharawal or Dharawal Partizans. Maybe even Traktor Dharawal.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it, it’s a neat solution to the MacArthur v South West issue. But if they do take that option, they need to be very aware that it’s a permanent commitment to proactively engage with indigenous communities and culture, well over and above a typical local sports team.

It would be completely fucked to steal their identity as a branding gimmick and then leave it there, and there’s no way of backing out - a future rename would be a symbolic travesty and a PR trainwreck.

On the other hand, if they are committed and earnest about it then I’d hope it is well received. There isn’t nearly enough enduring recognition of 40,000 years of indigenous Australia ingrained in modern Australian society, certainly not compared to the few decades of early colonialism. And I can’t imagine any prospective fan preferring another “Western United”.

6 Likes

There’s even some simple things they could do day one that would help with that. A connection to the John Moriarty Football Foundation would allow them to connect to the Aboriginal football community, particularly if they commit to giving player(s) from that program academy spots.

1 Like

Dynamo Dharawal ftw

Problem is that to commit, they would need to ensure that, at all times, a number of their backroom staff and players must be indigenous, otherwise it’ll just be seen as lip service. Is there enough indigenous players to actually make a decent impact in the country?

The other really important issue is whether the local Indigenous community has given their permission to use the name. The language doesn’t belong to the invader to use as he pleases.

5 Likes

You’d really hope that’s a given but, yeah, true that.

From the Macarthur South West A-League Team facebook:
“500 tickets already sold for our name and logo launch.
We expect tables to be sold out this week.
Don’t miss out and book your spot.”

They’re selling tickets to a press conference?

Macarthur FC is the rational choice, so I expect it will be called something silly instead like Rainbow Snake Flurry FC instead.

I was thinking more the FC Macarthur South Western Sydney Bull-Magpies United with their logo half a magpie and half a bull.

A MAGBULL!

1 Like

According to the world game, Ante Milicic will be their inaugural head coach

1 Like

Milicic is at the Matildas currently but I don’t see him staying beyond the World Cup, and he is due the top gig at A-League level somewhere. It seems as though the new Sydney club will be a good start for him.

Bit of a distraction for the Matildas pre WC. Would have been better to hold off until after the WC and hardly time critical. Think we would be shitty if it was the Socceroos.

Yeah you wouldn’t want them to have any culture issues.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t understand.

Is there toxic waste in the SW? There’s lots in the North West!