Round 1 - WSW vs Sydney FC - 20/11/21

SMS ticket working for me now.

1 Like

Awesome, yeah got sent through to my email shortly after 5pm.

They must read the forum.

I bought a few, and some links are working and some aren’t, so they must be updating it all progressively (FYI for anyone that might be in the same boat).

Is corica likely to change his tried and tested 4 2 2 2?

I like your suggested lineup btw

If anything, with the offseason recruiting that was made, it could be argued that 4-2-2-2 is actually the best formation for this squad.

Alfie/Trent, Bobo/Wood
Ninko/Burgess, Barba/Elvis
Caceres/Hof, Bratts/Retre

What’s this rumour that we’ve signed Liam McGing?

Smh. Nothing against him but it seems pointless, warlands fine, donachie is capable to back up. Our youth players usually step up fine when they need to.

1 Like

Yeah, dunno if it’s a rumour or whether there’s substance to it. Haven’t seen any information from the usual sources, just what @Sky_Blue_Stories posted in the Squad speculation thread a few days ago.

I think he might have been involved in the game against Wellington the other day, but not sure.

I agree, it’s pretty pointless, unless we have a massive injury situation, and even then surely we’ll use our youth before former off-cuts and A-League rejects. Given we have a spare foreign spot as well, if a big name player goes down, surely we’ll use that in January.

1 Like

Can see my three tickets on Ticketek now. Anxiety gone.

The opening round derby will be purely for channel 10 to build some momentum for Saturday night broadcasts and give them some bang and something heavy to promote out of the gate.

Might be worth it this time if the game is a good one. And we know the Cove will rip the atmosphere in that ground, from a tv broadcast point of view, so it will still sound great with 20k in there anyway.

5 Likes

It kinda looks balanced? Except you’ve got some players out of position there.

I really doubt we’re going to see Caceres at #6 and as much as in the past I’ve wanted it - I don’t think he’s good there anyway. He’s done his best stuff in the Barba/Elvis spot you have.

Also, I’m still none-the-wiser about where Kosta’s really going to start? Not totally convinced he’s not going to start up top next to ALF with Bobo coming of the bench? We can’t seriously be planning on starting Bobo.

I think its possibly a lot more like:

LeFondre/Bobo/Wood, Kosta/Trent/Elivs

Ninko/?, Caceres/Burgess

Retre/Zuvela, Brattan/Hoff

There’s flexibility there, but I’m still not at all convinced about the balance. Really reliant on Burgess and Hoff to go off (or for Caceres and Barbarouses to actually do something) and for Corica to have a sound strategy for all those forwards. Kosta really has to, kind of, have a season that makes up for last season too. He can’t go like 10 games without scoring again.

Anyway, should be fascinating.

2 Likes

Kosta finished the season well when he was moved out to the right after Alfie came back in so I think he’ll begin the season out there.
Bobo has played quite a bit in pre season and I suspect he will begin the season up front next to Alfie. If it isn’t working then the Wood/Trent/Barba discussion needs to be had. If Barba is going well out on the right then I think Wood will have first shot at the role.
Agreed that Caceres isn’t an out and out 6, his defensive game isn’t strong enough however he did well there last season. I’m not convinced he’s a wide #10 though either, he looks lost the closer he gets to goal. Given the strength we have for that position and that he needs to be in the starting 11, I think Corica will give him the first couple of games to make the CM spot his. I wouldn’t expect Zuvela & Hof to be in contention for a starting spot for a while, both needing to be nursed back into action after their injuries.

Our 4th choice, Mlinaric, has been loaned to Brisbane until January. Donachie is under an injury cloud so we’re potentially going into the game with no CB on the bench. This is where McGing comes in.

2 Likes

I’m pumped for this. My better half scored free tix from Paramount+/Ten for CommBank Ambassador’s section so i’m going to make the most of it.
I’ll take any kind of win but thinking we’ll nab it 2-1

6 Likes

I was unaware of donachies injury

Im assuming brattan is out with suspension as well for first match, or am i missing something there?

Yeah he hasn’t served his suspension yet.

Brattan: 1 - week (Suspension)

Is it brattan suspended for this one?

Maybe the referee will forget. We’ll put the name on his shirt at Lukeinho, and say he’s a Brazilian import last-minute signing.