Round 10 - Sydney FC vs CCM - 14/12/2019

I missed the game live, but from what I’m hearing, I shouldn’t bother hunting for a replay?

Go for the shortest highlight reel you can find. That will probably still be too long.

2 Likes

I should have stayed home

Our worst game all season and possibly the last two seasons.

Lacklusture and complacent with a sprinkle of fear it seemed. Didn’t want to move the ball quickly and invited so much pressure on ourselves. Really deserved to drop points (if not lose this game). Can’t think of one save Birrighitti had to make.

But we still won… forget, learn and move forward to next week.

On the plus side it didnt rain on us.

2 Likes

Probably would of welcomed the rain considering the drought, plus it would took my mind off that bore performance.

A win is a win is a win. Sometimes you gotta get it ugly, or boring. Either way it all adds up.

March on lads.

1 Like

We just really took the foot off the accelerator after we got ahead, then couldn’t step up a gear when we did want to… and we we were newly punished for it.
Yes, I remember a couple of similar frustrating games under Arnie.

I reckon still, that is the worst match of football I’ve seen Sydney play in since Farina or Crook days.

I think CCM deserve credit for not allowing us to play. Staj has them well drilled and apart from falling asleep at a set piece they didn’t offer up too many chances for us.
It was clear that they wanted us to play through the middle to negate Grant and, to a lesser extent, King’s attacking threat and congest the space. Only ABJ, with his superior ball control, could operate with any effectiveness and even then he struggled to have an impact in the second half.
Between Jair, De Silva, Silvera, Duric and Oar (if they can get him fit) they’ve got a decent attacking threat and Kim looks like a really good defensive acquisition. I won’t be surprised if they finish in the top half of the league.

2 Likes

Oh god that was tedious.

1 Like

I agree. CCM played a back three and packed the midfield as a way to stop the ball getting to the SFC’s attackers. It worked pretty well. Where it fell down was in attack, through lack of speed or experience of a new structure.
SFC needed to press high in defence to put pressure on CCM defence to force errors. Kim looked very comfortable.
Although still on the bottom Mariners are not the shower that they have been for the last 4 seasons. A couple of results, some confidence, and they will start producing regular wins.

1 Like

Both you and Newy have one or two games on the teams around you as well, so both could be higher up the ladder when the matches played even out.

We didn’t play well and took 3 points and a clean sheet. Rather than our front 4 playing out of their skins it was Redmayne who took care of absolutely everything without a hiccup.

I think more love needs to be given to Brattan, he’s been putting in some superb shifts and that peach of a ball to Grant for the 2nd assist was inch perfect.

The Mariners are a good side, they’re ahead of Brisbane and even Wests for me although lack a bit of quality up top.

1 Like

Yeah. look how quickly Perth propelled up the ladder from last.

Mariners were obviously set up to avoid the same embarrassment that Brisbane had, and it was effective. Despite focusing on defence, they were also quite decent in attack; I was expecting them to get a point out of the game towards the end.

Certainly not a good performance from Sydney, but championship winning teams have the ability to walk away from games like that with a win. We’re sitting 8 points clear at the top at the moment (pending other results), with 8 wins from 9 games.

Must’ve missed the FFA Cup game against Brisbane. Absolute garbage.

Hardly the worst game in 4 years… Didn’t Sydney lose to a shit Mariners side under Arnie?

I actually think it’s amazing how well Sydney are doing with basically every game missing key players.

What are the injury updates on Zullo, O’Neill, and ninko?

These things happen, we had an off night and still won.

Very hard to nominate the MOTM points though…ended up only giving Brattan 1 but I didn’t realise it was him who put Grant through for the cross/goal. That pass was worth another point or two at least. He had a quiet start to his time at Sydney but IMO he has been a decent upgrade from Brillante (which hurts to say but I think is true).

Ye true, maybe I’m just overreacting - whilst I’m comparing the performance yesterday to the brilliance of the week before against Bris. Regardless that was not a match to converr any would be fans.

Yeah that was the one where Okon celebrated it like a grand final win, playing ‘Horses’ after the game.

It wasn’t that we were abysmal last night, we were just boring and pedestrian. We got a goal up and the team were clearly pretty confident that Mariners would never score, and they just sat back content in that knowledge.