Round 21 - Newcastle vs Sydney FC - 8/5/21

I honestly can’t remember what the last win we had was.

The APL and the clubs can keep forcing VAR down our throats and we should continue paying them for the privilege of an increasingly shitty experience. I assume that’s @soy_macchiato_with_h 's “perspective”.

Probably because it was that shit 1-0 against the victory which almost felt like a loss.

Tell that to those that bought a ticket and travelled 2.5 hours each way during restrictions to support their team,

Sorry but that wasn’t good enough and some goo feasting is allowed after this imo… We have had times this season where we have thrown games away but to put in an utterly insipid performance against a bottom of the table team is a problem, and this has been coming too.

We were horrible at home to Victory and scraped a 1-0 win against a shocking team that had half their starting line up injured or suspended.

Some pressure needs to be put on Corica and the players after that, because now we are a real chance of missing the finals with on paper possibly the best (and most expensive) teams in the league.

4 Likes

Hard to type while ur walking away from football? Chill out champ.

Noone likes VAR. Ur not special.

1 Like

I’m exhausted.

So basically your “perspective” is “eat the shit you’re served”.

Another deeply insightful take!

1 Like

Settle down kids.

Nope. I’ve never liked VAR. But dramatic “fold the sports” posts on here arent the solution. Why are you even still posting if you aren’t following football? The tableu/ladder chat?

Well I guess that NPL and W-League don’t have that abomination, so there’s some outlet for getting a pure version of the sport.

We’re first if you table it by draws

Some good news:

1. It is now mathematically impossible for us to get the wooden spoon this season
  2. It is now mathematically impossible for Victory to win the plate this season
  3. There are only 11 teams left in the running for the finals

That’s all I’ve got, sorry.

8 Likes

Actually it is exactly the solution.

The decision to persist with VAR is made by APL, and the APL alone. The APL is majority owned by the clubs; one of which, the most influential of which, is Sydney. Sydney, which generates virtually all of its revenue from me and people like me - the memberships we pay, the merch we buy, the ads we watch, the pay TV we subscribe to etc.

If the direct causal relationship between the cancer and the symptoms is not spelled out to the bean counters, who have systematically demonstrated that they have no understanding of the fan experience across the league for years now (even at Sydney, where unprecedented success has not generated any growth whatsoever), then no change will happen.

It’s been a good run but this squad needs fresh cattle. Getting to the point where I’d rather see us not make the top six with youth, fresh players and a clear direction than the lethargic, sign old players and hope that’s sufficient strategy we have before us.

The most disappointing thing is absolutely how predictable that all was. I don’t expect to win every week, win every trophy and play champagne football along the way (we’ve been utterly spoiled for the last 5 years in that regard).

I do expect players to put in a shift and for the coach to employ a system that gets the most out of them, and also for there to be consequences for those who don’t rise to such modest expectations. More than anything I just want to see even the slightest improvement in the areas we’ve been consistently falling short.

None of that has happened. It’s the same shit every week with the same passengers continuing to start. Tougher tonight with Brattan out, sure, but if a bunch of 120kg Uni students could see this coming and see it as an opportunity to try something different then I’d sure as shit hope someone in the football department could too.

It says a bit that that was probably the single worst decision I’ve seen in 40 years of football, yet I’m more pissed off at the utter shite continuing to be served up by our team.

4 Likes

Love how you managed to keep the Latin in your argument. :facepunch:

the big issue is, we were horribly predictable under Arnie, but the rest of the league was horseshit.

now the league is more sheepshit and we are being found out

Most of the team were terrible today. But always the same story poor finishing.

We need to some how get rid of Kosta - he will ruin us next year as well. Corica only plays him because we are paying Kosta a shitload. ( I remember Kosta being this crazy player - he is a piece of shit at the moment)

Bobo is similar to ADP - could score but when he is on you are playing with 10 men.

I know Corica will probably just put Alfie on the bench but he really needs to give it a shot and start Alfie and Buhagiar

A shame there wasn’t 40 more people in the crowd.
It would’ve been 4444.

1 Like

Aug '20

Jan’21

:thinking: