Sack the Board: the Cricket thread I

The format for this World Cup saddens me. 10 teams seems really light on. I guess you’re at least going to get the top four teams in the semi-final because everyone has to play each other once in the group stage, but I’m really disappointed that there were no spaces for Association nations.

Really, the Cricket World Cup should seriously consider going to 16 teams. 12 Test-playing nations plus four Association nations could give 4 groups of 4, with top two making it to the quarter-finals. That would be so much better and be more inclusive. Like the football World Cup, a lot of people seem to be interested watching the lesser teams because they invariably bring something different. We’ve seen some great results in past World Cups. That romanticism will not exist at this World Cup.

After a bunch of one sided games to kick off the tournament, Bangladesh doing really well so far against South Africa

Schedule seems to make no sense in the early days.

South Africa will be playing their third match as India only plays their first when they meet later in the week.

Cracking end to the innings, too. Mahmdullah is absolutely killing it.

330 is a huge total. Amazing effort from Bangladesh

Would be fun to see South Africa finish outside the top 4.

One or two good teams are going to miss out. I’d say England and Australia (on form) are probably likely to take two of those top four spots. India, New Zealand, West Indies and South Africa to fight for the other two spots. It will be tight. New Zealand and the West Indies have got a good head start with some huge net run rate gains in their first games. Sri Lanka to make up the numbers, especially on current form. Bangladesh and Afghanistan are capable but can they keep it up over nine games? I have my doubts.

View it slightly differently. Its India and England at the top with Australia, West Indies and NZ for the other two. South Africa are on the brink already and I cant see them pull through from here. Pakistan are a good outfit but their form is horrible. Bangladesh and Afghanistan wont get to the top four but theres enough skill in their squads to have a say on the final makeup by causing some upsets (as Bangladesh have already).

Comparing the Indian and Aussie squads Id say the only spot we’re much better at them is having Glenn Maxwell in the middle order. Theyve got similar issues in one opener but theyve got an overall better middle with Dhoni over Carey and Pandya being a far more complete allrounder than Stoinis. Theyve then got arguably the best one day bowler in Bumrah and some very good spinners. And if they play Jadeja they could have genuine batting till around 9. And thats all without mentioning Kohli.

1 Like

And you were doing so well…

Pakistan putting on a decent total against England. They are going to need it though on the Trent Bridge highway

Huge win for Pakistan. If each of the top teams loses a game or two early it’ll make for an awesome end to the group stage

Cracking game… England were surprisingly sloppy in the field

Looks like South Africa have finally found a way to avoid bowing out in the semis.

They will be dancing in the streets of Dhaka.

Holy shit! Afghanistan had 19 extras in the first 10 overs, Sri Lanka were cruising at 1/140-odd but now Nabi has taken three wickets in an over. 4/146!

And now 6 out thanks to a successful run-out after about 2 or 3 huge mix-ups :joy::joy:

I have no words for Sri Lanka.

Udana’s shot was a shocker!
:joy:

1 Like

I haven’t seen such a bad 10-12 over spell from a Test nation batting team at a World Cup. Absolute shocker from Sri Lanka. The rain is probably going to save them, unfortunately.

Australia in trouble early

Shocker of a shot from Khawaja. Not what was required at all at this stage.

And Maxwell. Australia reverting to absolute stupidity here. Is this the first 8 overs over the last 8?